William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
SUTTON, one mile S. of Stalham and 10 miles S.E. of North Walsham, has in its parish 365 souls, and 1310 acres of land. The copyholders are subject to a fine of 4s. per acre on the death of the lord, or change of tenant.
The Earl of Abergavenny is lord of the manor, which has an out-soke jurisdiction extending to Catfield, Hickling, &c. He is also patron of the Church (St. Michael,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.16s.8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. James Duncan Macfarlane. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £325 per annum.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1809, is 80A., chiefly covered with water, and now affording but little turf or rushes. The poor have also the interest of £20, left by an unknown donor.
Armes Mr John Barber Mr Wm. Beane Wm. blacksmith Bygrave John gentleman Bygrave Jno. jun. miller & maltstr Ebbs Wm. shoemaker Flowerday Edward shopkeeper Gilbert Charles corn merchant Juler Mary vict. White Horse Macfarlane Rev. Jas. Duncan rector Martin Henry tailor Mayes Benj. wherry owner & shopr Mayes John joiner Mayes Thomas grocer & draper Neve Edward cattle dealer Richardson Joseph blacksmith Rudd Mr John Spooner Henry glover Whall Rt. vict. Catherine Wheel (coach to Norwich, Mon. Wed. & Sat. 7 morning.) FARMERS. Barber George Simpson Barber Wm. B. Crow Robert Durrant John Harris Thomas Savory Wm. Stimpson Richard
See also the Sutton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.