William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
SUTTON, 1 mile S. of Stalham, and 10 miles S.E. of North Walsham, is a parish in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 378 persons in 1881, living on 1310 acres; the rateable value is £2208. The copyholders are subject to a fine of 4s. per acre on the death of the lord, or change of tenant. --- Keith, Esq., is lord of the manor, which formerly had an outsoke jurisdiction extending to Catfield, Hickling &c.
The Marquis of Abergavenny is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6.16s.8d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. G. Holloway, who has a pleasant residence, built in 1845 at a cost of £800, and about 15 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £325 per annum.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is an old flint building, comprising nave, chancel, south aisle, porch and square embattled tower with three bells. The seats are open and have poppy heads. The chancel was restored in 1849, and the east window is filled with stained glass. Many of the other windows contain fragments of ancient stained glass. The church has 200 sittings, all free. The ancient piscina still remains. There is good new harmonium, and funds are now being collected for the further restoration of the church.
A new National School was built by subscription in 1872, to accommodate 65 children, at the cost of £300. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1846, at a cost of £200, given by John and Sarah Durrant.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1809, 60 acres, is fen ground, partly covered with water, and is a favourite resort of wild fowl. The poor had also the interest of £20, left by an unknown donor, but this has been lost.
POST OFFICE at Mr. R.W. Woolston's. Letters from Norwich, via Stalham, arrive at 7.30 a.m., and despatched at 3.30 p.m. Stalham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Catfield Station, on the Yarmouth and North Norfolk Railway, is in this parish.
Acquier - Commercial day school Annison John thatcher Bean John sexton Bell John grocer and draper Breeze George farmer and owner Burton Obadiah horsebreaker Clark Richard farmer, owner & overseer, Poole house Clowes Francis The Hall M.R.C.S.L., L.S.A. Dye Mr. - Brewery house Flowerday Edward farmer, rate collector and carter Greenacre Robert farmer Holloway Rev. George, rector, The Rectory M.A. Mayhew - victualler, The Catherine Wheel Inn Paine Benj. millwright & machinist Powley Robert farmer, Bush house Read John blacksmith Read John, jun. victualler, Windmill Slipper Edward farmer, Bray's farm Southgate Edward horsebreaker Tuck Joseph farmer & owner, The Cottage farm Whall - vict. White Horse Wilding Miss National schlmstress Woolston Robert grocer, draper and post office William Worts Thos. miller & farmer, & corn, seed, cake & manure merchant, & maltster, & brick, tile, &c. manufacturer, Sutton mill
See also the Sutton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.