William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
SWAFFHAM is a handsome and thriving market-town, and the principal place of election of knights of the shire for the western division of Norfolk. It gives name to a large Union, and is situated 15 miles E.S.E. of Lynn, 27 miles W. of Norwich, and 93 miles N.N.E. of London; and holds a pleasant and highly salubrious situation on the crown of a lofty eminence, whose gradually swelling acclivities, for a circuit of nearly two miles, are occupied by fertile and well-wooded enclosures, but encompassed by an extensive tract of open heath (more than 10,000 acres,) in this and the surrounding parishes. If carried into effect, the proposed Railway from Lynn to East Dereham will pass near the town.
Swaffham is considered by the faculty as peculiarly salubrious; and in proof of this opinion, some instances of great longevity have been adduced, among which, it is said, the united ages of four persons, who died here in 1798, amounted to 355 years; and those of eleven, who died in 1790, amounted to 890 years; to which we may add Mrs. Cross, who died here in 1816, aged 100 years; and the late Rev. Wm. Yonge, M.A., chancellor of the diocese, who was vicar here for 65 years, and died in 1844, aged nearly 92. It has been styled the Montpelier of England; but for asthmatic and consumptive patients, the air has often been found too keen and penetrating.
The town has many large and handsome houses, and a noble church, shaded by a fine avenue of lime-trees; the streets are open and well-built, branching in various directions from a spacious Market place, lined with good shops, inns, &c., and having in its centre an elegant market cross, erected by the Earl of Orford, in 1783, and consisting of a peristyle of circular columns, supporting a dome covered with lead, and terminated by a statue of Ceres. On the west side of the Market hill, is the Town Hall and Assembly Room, a plain brick building, erected in 1817, and having behind it a small butchery. Adjoining it a Reading Room has recently been erected.
The MARKET, held every Saturday, is toll-free, and one of the best in the county for the sale of corn, cattle, &c.; but the butter mart, formerly very extensive, has greatly declined. Three large FAIRS, for cattle, sheep, &c. are held yearly, on May 12th, July 21st, and Nov. 3rd.
HORSE RACES were formerly held yearly, upon the broad heath on the south-west side of the town, in September, but they declined more than twenty years ago, though efforts have since been made to revive them. In the centre of the race-course, twelve acres have been cleared and levelled for a cricket ground. In 1797, a grand cricket match for 500 guineas was played here between "Norfolk and All England," and after a long contest, it was decided in favour of the latter; but since then, Norfolk has risen to the highest fame in the annals of this noble game and manly exercise.
Swaffham Coursing Society was established in 1776, chiefly through the patronage of the late Lord Orford, since whose decease it has had the liberal support of Anthony Hamond, Esq., owner of the celebrated coursing ground called Westacre Field, where a prize of fifty guineas is run for yearly in November, for about sixteen greyhounds. The coursing continues four days over the fine open country extending to Westacre, Narford, Marham, &c.
Swaffham parish has increased its population, since 1801, from 2220 to 3358 souls, and comprises about 7550 acres; of which 2375 are heath, 4122 arable, about 600 meadow, and 30A. woodland. All the population and buildings in the town and its immediate suburbs, except a few scattered farm-houses, the most distant of which are, Great and Little Friars' Thornes, nearly two miles W., adjoining the heath.
On November 19th, 1775, the town was much injured by a dreadful FIRE, which consumed 24 houses; but it has since been considerably improved by modern buildings, &c.
The soil and buildings belong to a number of copyholders and freeholders, the largest of whom is Anthony Hamond, Esq., the lord of the MANOR OF SWAFFHAM MARKET, which comprises more than nine-tenths of the parish, and was anciently held by the Earls of Richmond, who had a prison here.
Being ancient demesne, (like North Pickenham, Narford, Palgrave, Foulden, Great Cressingham, &c.) the inhabitants are exempt from serving on juries, except in their own parishes; also, "free from the payment of toll, and from contribution to the expenses of knights of Parliament," unless they hold lands and tenements in other manors, for which they may be put on juries at the assizes. From a verdict of the manor court, in 1620, is appears "that the freeholders hold the manor by soccage, fealty, and free-rent, and pay for free-rent 4d. an acre; for every acre of copyhold, 3d., and every messuage, 9d.; that the copyholders may make leases of their estates for 21 years, without license of the lord, paying on admittance 2d. per acre.
Sir Edward Coke farmed this manor of Charles I.; and from him it passed to the Barkhams and the Yallops. One of the latter took the name of Spelman, of Westacre High House, now the seat of the present lord of the manor; for which Fdk. Lane, Esq., of Lynn is steward.
The fines are all certain, as stated above, except on the Market-hill, where arbitrary fines are levied. The custom of the manor is to the eldest son; and all the tenants have unstinted commonright on the heath, where the poor are allowed to cut turf, furze, ling, &c. Some of the enclosed lands are also subject to the depasturage of the town herds, from Michaelmas to Lady-day; but this inconvenient claim is somewhat checked by the ample reprisals which are generally made on the estates of those who exercise it.
The other manor, called HASFALLS and WHITSANDS, is of small extent, comprising only about 100 acres of enclosed land, called the TOWN ESTATE, with commonright over all the heath, as afterwards noticed.
Standing on the crown of a lofty gravelly hill, Swaffham has been at considerable expense in providing a sufficient supply of WATER, which is now obtained by a number of two-handled draw-wells, varying from 52 to 62 yards in depth; and as water cannot be obtained near the surface, there are but few hand pumps in the town; but many private reservoirs, and a few large public pools, are formed for catching the rain-water.
The Gas Works, from which the town is now well lighted, were erected in 1840, by a company of shareholders, to whom Mr. W. Howorth is secretary.
The town had a weekly market before the reign of King John; and Henry III. granted it two yearly fairs.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is a large and handsome pile of freestone, brick, and flint, commenced about the reign of Edward IV., but not finished till 1510. It is in the form of a cross, having a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and a lofty well-proportioned tower, terminated by enriched embrasures and purfled pinnacles, and containing eight musical bells and a good clock. The nave is very loft, having 26 cleristory windows; and its inner roof is ornamented with a profusion of carved wood figures of angels, &c., and supported by slender clustered pillars, from which spring 14 pointed arches, seven on each side. Here are many handsome monuments, and in the windows are some remains of beautiful stained glass, supposed to represent the benefactors who contributed towards rebuilding the church.
The north aisle and the tower are said by tradition to have been built by John Chapman, a tinker, of this town, who dreamt that if he went to London bridge, he would hear news greatly to his advantage, and having gone thither, he was, after walking about for some hours, accosted by a man, who asked him what he wanted, to which he replied, that he had come there on the vain errand of a dream; and the man answered, "Alas, good friend! if I had heeded dreams, I might have proved myself as very a fool as thou hast; for 'tis not long since I dreamt that at a place called Swaffham, in Norfolk, dwells John Chapman, a pedler, who hath a tree at the back of his house, under which is buried a pot of money." On hearing this, the tinker hastened home, dug under the tree, found a large brass pot, full of money, and inscribed "Under me doth lie, another much richer than I;" but being in Latin, it was some time before the tinker discovered the meaning, after which he dug deeper, and found a much larger pot filled with old coin.
The inhabitants, soon afterwards, determined to re-edify the church, and are said to have been agreeably surprised by the tinker's offer to defray the expense of rebuilding the north aisle and the tower. That a wealthy parishioner, called John Chapman, was church-warden in 1462, and founded the north aisle, is evident from an ancient register, called the "Black Book;" but the traditional story of his dream, and of his having been a pedler or tinker, has undoubtedly been fabricated by the vulgar, from the rebusses on his name, carved on his seat in the north aisle, representing a pedler or chapman, with his pack, and his wife looking over the door of a shop; but this and many other carved seats were removed many years ago, when the nave and aisles were renewed.
The carved fragments of these ancient stalls and seats now form a patched piece of work, in the chapel of the north transept, commonly called the tinker's seat, and still exhibiting small figures of a pedler, with his pack, his wife, and his dog; but the latter, being muzzled, and having a chain running across his back, is more probably intended for a bear.
Among the monuments is an altar-tomb, with the effigy of John Botewright, D.D., who was master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, chaplain to Henry VI., and vicar of this church, when it was rebuilt. His office, faith, and name are shewn by rebusses on four shields, - an hieroglyphical mode of expression which was practiced among the Greeks and Romans, and is mentioned in the time of Homer. In the vestry are preserved some ancient armour and a library of books, chiefly presented by the Spelmans, of Narborough.
Seven Guilds, or fraternities for religious, convivial, and benevolent purposes, had formerly altars in this church, dedicated to the Ascension, St. Nicholas, St. Peter, St. Helen, St. John-the-Baptist, St. Thomas-a-Becket, and the Holy Trinity; but very little is known of them except their names, though each had probably a hall or meeting house in the town.
The VICARAGE valued in the King's Book at £14.8s.10d., and in 1831, at £808, with the rectory of Threxton annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Salisbury Everard. The tithes of Swaffham parish were commuted in 1840, for the yearly rents of £564.15s.3d., to the vicar; and £1159.10s. to the Dean and Chapter of St. Peter's, Westminster, the appropriators of the rectory.
The fine avenue of lime trees in the churchyard, (18 on each side,) were planted about 140 years ago, by Wm. Fortin.
About half a mile west of the town, near the Lynn road, is place anciently called Guthlac's Stow, from a chapel which stood there, dedicated to St. Guthlac, but now commonly called Goodluck's closes. At Friars' Thornes, about a mile further to the west, upon a high hill, stood a small priory cell, belonging to the monks of Sawtry; being a resting place for pilgrims in their progress from Canterbury to Walsingham priory.
The BAPTISTS have a chapel in Whtecross [sic.] lane, built in 1823, at a cost of £524, and now under the ministry of the Rev. John Hewitt; and the WESLEYANS have one in London street, erected in 1811. There is also in the town an Independent preaching room, and a small Primitive Methodist chapel; and in Westacre road is an old Friend's Meeting House, which was converted into a cottage about 30 years ago.
The TOWN ESTATE, comprising the manor of Hasfalls and Whitsands, belonged to the dissolved chantry of Simon Blake, and was granted by Edward VI., in 1549, in consideration of £126.2s.1d. (town's money,) to twelve trustees, to be elected yearly by the churchwardens and other parishioners, upon trust that the rents and profits thereof should be applied yearly for the relief of the poor, the reparations of the highways and town-wells, and the payment of all other common charges in the parish.
The estate consists of a farm of 99A.1R.14P. of land, with a sheep-walk over 316A. of heath, and 220A. of half-year lands. It is let for £170 a year, and the tenant has the privilege of turning such neat cattle as he can summer, upon all the heath and half-year lands in the parish. The rents are received by the churchwardens, and expended in the service of the church, and the payment of the clerk's and sexton's salaries, except the distribution of 54s. per annum, in quarterly sums of 1s.6d., among nine poor widows, under the name of the King's Alms, pursuant to the deed of 1549.
The churchwardens and the twelve trustees, or Town Guardians, carry to the same account £10.2s. per annum, arising as follows:- £3, from the Camping Ground, left by the Rev. John Botewright, D.D., in 1475, for the use of the church, and as a place for all the parishioners to exercise in archery, military discipline, and other proper games; £3 from 2A.3R.30P. of land at Pickenham, given by an unknown donor, and £4.2s., arising from the gifts or bequests of Edward Bayfield, in 1729; C. & W. Rodwell, in 1775; Mary Machin, in 1675; one Wentland, at an unknown date; Rose Case, in 1711, and an unknown donor. From these charities, £2.5s. is distributed among 15 poor widows, and £3.8s. is distributed in bread among the poor parishioners.
Four houses, and other buildings, and small plots of land, given by Wm. & Susan Bedingfeld, in 1671, and Helen Johnson, in 1675, are let for about £53 per annum. This rent, after the payment of heavy expenses for repairs, insurance, &c., is distributed in coals among poor widows and sick parishioners.
A shop and stall in the Market place, left to the poor by Nicholas Hamond, in 1724 , were burnt down in 1809. Four tenements, in Mangate, called ALMSHOUSES, were given by unknown donors, and are occupied, rent-free, by poor families, as also are two tenements in Lynn street, given by Thos. Theodricke, in 1723 , and four tenements in the Green-way, given by Ann Brett, in 1807, in exchange for an old almshouse. Swaffham Union Workhouse is already noticed at page 372.
[Extract from page 372: "The Union Workhouse, at Swaffham, was built in 1836, at the cost of £5425, and has room for 400 paupers; but the average daily number of inmates, in summer, is only about 100. They are clothed and fed at the average weekly cost of about 2s.10d. per week per head. [...] Mr Reuben Harwood is governor of the Workhouse."]
The FREE SCHOOL, in the green croft called the Camping Ground, consists of a good house, capable of accommodating 40 boarders. It was built in 1736, at the cost of £500, left by Nicholas Hamond, in 1724, together with £500 for the endowment. The latter sum was laid out in the purchase of £800 New South Sea Annuities, the yearly dividends of which (£24) are paid to the master, for which, and the use of the school-house, he is only required to teach reading to 20 poor boys.
National Schools, now attended by 170 boys and 150 girls, were built on the Camping ground in 1838, and are supported by subscription. An Infant School, in the old Workhouse, is supported by Miss Hamond; and in London street is a British School, for 50 poor girls, supported by A. Morse, Esq., and other subscribers.
Here is a Savings' Bank, established in 1818, and now having deposits amounting to about £20,000, belonging to 474 individuals, and twelve Charitable and Friendly Societies.
West Norfolk Agricultural Association, was established in 1834, and holds its annual meetings at Swaffham, on the 3rd Wednesday in June, when there is a great shew of cattle, implements, &c. Lord Hastings is president, and the Earl of Leicester vice-president.
South Greenhoe Association, for promoting good conduct and encouraging industrious habits in servants, cottagers, and labourers, was instituted in 1843, and holds its annual meetings here, in October, for the distribution of rewards and premiums. Sir C.M. Clarke is president; W.G.T.D. Tyssen, Esq., vice-president; John Dugmore, Esq., honorary secretary; and W.P. Pillans, Esq., acting secretary.
In the town are three valuable collections in natural history, two of birds, at Miss Hamond's and the Rev. Henry Dugmore's, and the other of fossils, illustrative of the geology of West Norfolk, at Mr. C.B. Rose's.
In the parish, is a large and well-stocked nursery, occupied by Mr. John Took; and on all sides of the town, are tasteful gardens and verdant enclosures, interspersed with trees of considerable interest; but the grand feature in the sylvan beauties of Swaffham is the majestic avenue of lime trees in the churchyard, adjoining which is the Vicarage, enclosed by a thorn fence, and delightfully skirted with roses and herbaceous plants.
At Mr. Gowing's, is a subscription News Room and Book Club.
As noticed [above], the late Rev. Chancellor Yonge, who died in 1844, aged nearly 92, was 65 years vicar of Swaffham, and was rarely absent from his parish, except when discharging other official duties. A valuable piece of plate was presented to him, in 1830, by his parishioners, to record their sense of his faithful ministration; and the affectionate regard in which his memory is held was strongly marked by the closing of the shops, and the general suspension of business in the town, on the day of his funeral.
Swaffham Division County Gaol, or HOUSE OF CORRECTION, was erected in 1787, and considerable enlarged in 1821, when a large plot was added to its enclosure. It occupies the site of the old Bridewell (erected in 1599,) and has a commodious house for the governor, fronting London street. The prison was again enlarged in 1844, at the cost of £1500. It has cells for about 100 prisoners, and has generally about half that number in confinement.
The SHIRE HALL is a handsome building, which was erected in 1839, at the cost of £2200, in the Grecian and Italian styles. It adjoins the back part of the House of Correction, and fronts Whitecross lane. Adjourned Quarter Sessions are held here at the usual periods, and Petty Sessions every Saturday.
Mr. Robert Sewell is clerk to the Magistrates. Mr. E.A. Johnson is governor of the prison, and the Rev. G. Gage, chaplain. The Hundreds from which the prisoners are sent here, are South Greenhoe, Wayland, Grimshoe, Shropham, Guiltcross, Clackclose, and Freebridge Lynn and Marshland.
POST-OFFICE at Mr. Wm. Parsons', Market place. The Mail, to Lynn, Birmingham, &c. at ¼ past 10 evening; and to Norwich, &c., 3 morning. The Mail Gig, to Norwich, 8 morning, and to Newmarket, 6 evening. A post, from Litcham, at 5 evening; returns about 7 morning.
Those marked 1, reside in Block street; 2, Castleacre street; 3, Church alley; 4, Church yard; 5, Cock yard; 6, Market place; 7, London street; 8, Lynn street; 9, Whitehart lane; 10, Mangate street; 11, Camping ground; 12, Shambles; and 13, in Dereham road.
7 Allen John fishmonger 7 Alpe Mr Robt. 6 Balders Mrs Sus. 2 Barker Smith gentleman 7 Barkham Thomas coachman 7 Beswick Wm. gentleman 8 Bone Mr. Barnard 7 Boxall Mrs Ann 8 Brundell Henry Turner constable 9 Butters John cattle dealer 8 Clark John Jacob gentleman 8 Cobb Mr Wm 7 Cooper Mr Morris 7 Cork Harriet Crask Robert horse breaker 2 Dalton Rev. Wm. 7 Davey Mr Wm. 6 Day Henry county treasurer, and bank manager Framingham 7 Dugmore John, Esq. 6 Dugmore Rev. Henry, rector of Pensthorpe, &c. M.A. Evans Rev. John P. curate Everard Rev. Salisbury M.A. Vicar 9 Falkner Captain Joseph 6 Forby John shopman Fortin Mr Wm. Northpool lane 10 Frost Edward Henry organist Gage Rev. Geo. chaplain to the gaol 8 Goold Thos. jun. horse dealer Greef Miss Church alley Hamond Miss Sarah Block street 2 Hanbury Rev. Geo. 7 Hardy Mrs 6 Harvey Charlotte toy, &c. dealer Harwood Reuben govr. Union Wrks. 7 Hewitt Mr. Chas. 7 Hewett Rev John (Baptist min.) Holt Wm. relieving officer 2 Ingram Wm. hosier Jary Mr John 7 Johnson Edward Amond governor, House of Correction 7 Johnson Margt. Ann lace worker 7 Johnson Rd. turnkey [See note below] 2 Johnson Wm. green grocer Kiddall Mrs E. 6 Kirbell Mrs Ann 6 Lack John engraver, &c. Montagu Rev George, rector of South Pickenham B.A. 7 Morley W. turnkey [See note below] 7 Morse Arthur brewer 9 Morse James brandy merchant 7 Palmer Rev Jabez (Wes. min.) 7 Palmer Mr Thos. 8 Parrott Jane dyer 9 Plimsaul James solicitor's clerk Philo Mrs Alice Philo James registrar of marriages 1 Say Rev Hy. rector of N. Pickenham 6 Seppings Edward auctioneer 6 Skipper Robert bank agent Snasdell R. W. town surveyor 7 Toyne Rev Elijah (Wes. min.) 2 Trundle Edmund gentleman 8 Wace Mr. Rd. 2 Williams Mr. Jas.
Note: In the original, the entry is:
7 Johnson Rd. & Morley W. turnkeys
ATTORNEYS. Marcon Geo. Reginald Church yard Pillans Wm. Pott (clerk to the magistrates & comsrs. of taxes,) Mkt. pl Sewell Robt. (supt. regr. and Union & magistrates' clerk,) Block st Taylor Brooke Market place BANKERS. 6 Gurneys & Co. (on Barclay & Co.) Robert Skipper, agent 6 East of England Bank, (on London & Westminster,) H.F. Day, mangr 6 Savings' Bank, (open Saturday,) Wm. Wells, secretary FIRE & LIFE OFFICES. Atlas and United Kingdom Wm. P. Pillans Church of England J. Utting Family Endowment Jas. F. Rust Farmers' J. & H. Y. Finch Norwich Union Robert Sewell Royal Exchange Wm. Lack Sun Wm. Samuel Yarington Suffolk Amicable John Philo London & York Seppings & Jones INNS AND TAVERNS. 6 Angel James Porter 6 Crown Inn Wm. Page, (posting) 2 George Inn Wm. Boyce 6 Greyhound Wm. Andrews 8 Horse and Groom Wm. Pitcher 6 King's Arms John Claxton 6 Maid's Head John Watson 6 Red Lion Rebecca Barker 6 Spread Eagle James Clark 7 White Hart Inn Robert Nokes 2 White Lion John Bennett 2 White Swan James Dewhurst Academies (* take Boarders) Barratt Sus. P. *Cowles Reuben Frederick 7*Forby Eliz. Hacon J. G. Free School 6 Hewitt Miss 8 Martin Harriet 10*Newman Mrs 10 Newman Ths. 6*Ransome My. Agnes Wells Wm. and Mrs Natl. schl Auctioneers. 6 Seppings and Jones 7 Trundle James 1 Wright Wm. (& land agent) Bakers, &c. 2 Bayfield Geo. 6 Clements Thos. 7 Goodrick Rt. 8 Hart Joseph 7 Larwood John 8 Reeve Mrs 7 Shreeve Noah 7 Smith Abdall 7 Smith Charles 12 Walden Peter 8 Woolnough J. 6 White Thomas Basket Makers. 8 Gooden James 7 Green Robert Beer Houses. 1 Gainsbury Dnl. 8 Howard Alice 2 Hubbard Chtte. 8 Kerrison Stpn. 7 Leggett Geo. 2 Milner John 7 Overton John 8 Sear Maria Blachsmiths. [sic.] 8 Carman Nathl. 7 Child Cphr. 7 Clark Benj. 1 Josh Isaac 8 Josh Thomas Booksellers, Printers, &c. 6 Gowing John Sewell 6 Philo John (& agent to East India Tea Co.) Boot & Shoe Mkrs. 8 Arnold Wm. 3 Clark Wm. 7 Cory Sandall Cross Benjamin 6 Ellis Sl. & Son 6 Ellis Norton 11 Filbey John 6 Hipper Wm. 6 Marsh Edward 11 Matthews Geo. 7 Petch Pooley 4 Philo James (& leather cutter) 6 Porter James 7 Rudd Wm. 8 Utting John (leather cutr) Brewers. 9 Morse John (Exors.of) Bricklayers, &c. 8 Barker Willis 7 Heyhoe Jno. Js. Brick & Tile Mkr. 10 Hardy Jermh. Butchers. 7 Bayfield Benj. 2 Hall Saul Nelson Wm. 6 Randall Thos. 7 Smith Richard 5 Vout Robt. P. Cabinet Makers & Upholsterers. 10 Harper Hy. 2 Kiddle George 7 Muffett Samuel China, &c. Dlr. 7 Philo Jas. (parish clerk) Clothes Broker. 6 Howard Wm. Coach Builders. 9 Bath Hy. Gibbs 7 Savage Wm. (agrl. impt. mkr) Confectioners. 6 Naunton Wltr. 6 Powley Sophia 7 Smith Charles 6 White Thomas Cooper. 7 Brown Wm. Corn and Coal Merchants. 7 Alpe James 7 Grant Wm. 7 Jeffery & Co. (and Lynn) Corn Millers. 7 Hardy Wm. 6 Kidall W. S. 7 Smith Abdall Curriers. 7 Greeves Thos. 2 Tooley James (& Downham) Cutlers. 2 Ellis Thomas 10 Johnson John Druggists 6 Finch Jacob (agts. for Sawe's patent manure) & Young Henry [See note below] 6 Rogers Edmd. Dawson 7 Rust Jas. FosterNote: In the original, the entry is:
6 Finch Jacob & Henry Young (agts. for Sawe's patent manure)
FARMERS. 13 Bulling James Blomfield 10 Clark Edward Colman Thomas Manor Farm Delf Saml. Brick Kiln Farm Goold Thomas Snail's pit 10 Page Wm. Palmer Charles Carol House 8 Peck James 7 Raven James Spanton Benj. Friars' Thornes Spanton Robert Friars' Thornes 7 Stratton John Gardeners and Seedsmen. 10 Kemble John 13 Took John Nursery. 7 Vince John GROCERS. 7 Baker Edward 6 Betts George and Alfred 6 Hawes Charles 6 Lindsey Thos. 2 Maddison Geo. (& tal. chandlr) 7 Nurse Thomas 10 Sword Wm. Gun Makers. 6 Parsons Wm. 6 Sutton James Hatters. 6 Donthorn John 6 Hopkins Wm. Henry Iron Founders, &c. Hunton & Cornish 7 Plowright Wm. Tomling Ironmongers. 6 Lack Wm. 7 Plowright Wm. Tomling (and machine mfr) Joiners & Bldrs. 7 Cooper Charles Goggs Mathias Ash Close 7 Heyhoe Jno. Js. 7 Muffett Samuel 7 Oakes Richard (& surveyor) 8 Sands Wm. Land Surveyor 6 Pratt John Linen & Woollen Drapers. 7 Baker Edward 6 Betts George and Alfred 6 Donthorn John 6 Hawes Charles 2 Ingram Wm. hosier 6 Lindsey Thos. Maltsters. 7 Jeffery (cake, seed, wool, &c. merchts.) & Co. 9 Morse John (Exors.of) Milliners, &c. 7 Davison Har. 2 Fox Elizabeth 6 Utting My. A. 7 Vince Harriet Painters, &c. (* Are Plumbers) 8 Balders Wm. 7 Goose & Maurice [See note below] Barber Robert 7*Loveless Stpn. 6*Mendham Jas. 7 Muffett Wm. 6 Smith Wm.Note: In the original, the entry is:
7 Goose (Maurice,) and Barber (Robert)
Perfumers and Hairdressers. 6 Smith Matthew Vane (& patent medicine vender) 7 Watts John 6 Wharton Wm. Saddlers, &c. 6 Lack Wm. 7 Lassock Mary 7 Trundle James Shopkeepers. 7 Avis Augustus 7 Clark James 8 Codling Phoebe 8 Matthews John 7 Muffett John 7 Rudd Wm. 7 Spinks John 7 Stroulger Mtha. 8 Woolnough Js. 7 Vince Allen Stone Masons. 7 Heyhoe Jn. Jas. 7 Roberts Thos. Straw Hat Mkrs. Clark Wm. 2 Rudd Sophia 6 Utting Ann SURGEONS. 7 Ferraby Chas. 6 Rose Caleb B. 6 Seppings E. jun. 2 Whittby Geo. (and registrar) TAILORS. (* are Drapers.) 7 Avis Jno. Anty. 8 Carman Abm. 7*Dawson John 1 Jakes Lazarus 6*Johnson & Jas. [See note below] Clements Hy. Crafer 6*Powley Benj. 7 Powley Robert 1 Sutton EdwardNote: In the original, the entry is:
6*Johnson (Jas.) and Clements (Hy. Crafer)
Vety. Surgeons. 8 Carter Richard 2 Perry William Watchmakers. 6 Carr John E. 6 Feltham Robt. Daniel (and jeweller) 7 Pratt Matthew Wheelwrights. (See Coach Bldrs) 1 Buckenham Brightwell Whitesmiths. (See Gun Makers) Wine and Spirit Merchants. 7 Howorth Wm 7 Jeffery (and Lynn) & Co. 9 Morse James 6 Utting John (porter only)COACHES.
To Norwich, at 3, 8 and ¼ before 10 morning, and 6 evening.
To Lynn, at 12 noon, and 7 and 10 evening, daily.
To London, via Brandon, Tue. Thurs. and Sat. at 10 morning; and
to Fakenham, Wells, &c. Mon. Wed. & Friday, at 5 evening
Marked 1, go from the Greyhound; 2, King's Arms; 3, Red Lion; and 4, White Swan
To London, via Brandon, &c.
1 Deacon and Co., Mon. & Thurs. evng; &
3 Swann & Son, Tue. Thurs. & Sat.
To Downham and Wisbeach,
2 J Oakes, Friday
4 John Allen, Mon. and Thursday, and Woodbine Coe, from Lynn street, Tue. Thurs. and Sat.
2 John Oakes, Tuesday mrng;
1 J. Payne, Mon. and Thurs;
4 John Allen, Tue. and Friday; and
1 Deacon and Co. Wednesday and Sat.
Deacon and Co. Wed. & Fri.
To surrounding villages, &c.
carriers every Saturday, from the Inns.
See also the Swaffham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.