"SWANTON ABBOTT, a large scattered village, 2½ miles S.S.W. of North Walsham, and 12 miles N. by E. of Norwich, is partly occupied by weavers, and has in its parish 501 souls, and 1103A.2R.8P., of which only 946 acres are assessable.The Church (St. Michael,) is a neat structure, containing several handsome mural monuments to the Blake family, and a fine brass of the Rev. Stephen Multon, who died in 1477. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.10s., is in the gift of the Rev. Wm. Jex Blake, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Evans, of Lyng. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £275 per annum.Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1829.Ann Steward, in 1732, left a pightle of land for the relief of poor widows. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
It may also be spelled as Swanton Abbot, with one "t".
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swanton Abbott to another place.
Swanton Abbott is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Swanton Abbott has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG265256 (Lat/Lon: 52.780132, 1.356467), Swanton Abbott which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Swanton Abbott School
- Swanton Abbott school, 1876-1976: 100 years of learning and teaching.
[Typescript in Norwich Norfolk Studies Library, 1977]