"SYDERSTONE, a village on an acclivity, 6 miles W.N.W. of Fakenham, has in its parish 504 souls, and 2,308 acres of land, belonging to the Marquis Cholmondeley, the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £535, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Henry Tudor, M.A., with 45A. of glebe. The tithes were [commuted] in 1845. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a round tower, and formerly had aisles, which were taken down about 1784. In the 12th of Henry VII., the Earl of Suffolk granted this manor to the Robserts, one of whom was the unfortunate Anne, Countess of Leicester, who figures in Sir Walter Scott's novel of Kenilworth, under the name of Amy Robsert." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Church of St Mary
- Picture of the church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Syderstone to another place.
Syderstone is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Syderstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Fourdrinier, N.D.
- Syderstone and its Church.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1968]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF832327 (Lat/Lon: 52.860839, 0.719261), Syderstone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)