William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TASBURGH, 8 miles S. of Norwich, and about 1 mile S.E. of Flordon Station, is a parish in Depwade union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 446 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 916 acres. The rateable value is £1443.
The village is situated on the abrupt acclivities at the confluence of three streams which form the small river Tas, Taes, or Tau, which flows southward to Norwich, and was once navigable up to the Roman station here, called Ad Taüm, which occupied the summit of a lofty entrenched hill, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. The entrenchment is of a square form, containing an area of 24 acres; and the fosse and vallum may still be traced.
Tasburgh Lodge is now occupied by E. Grove Johnson, Esq., and the manor-house of Tasborough Uphall is occupied by Mr. G. Rix.
In the centre of the village stands the CHURCH (Virgin Mary), which has a nave, a chancel, and a round tower with four bells, and is said to have been built in 1380. The chancel contains a piscina and an ancient altar-tomb. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, is in the incumbency of the Rev. H.E. Preston, M.A., and patronage of the executors of the late Isaac Jermy, Esq., the lords of the manor. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £287 7s. per annum. The rectory-house is a handsome white brick residence, and was built in 1844, at a cost of £1000.
The School was erected in the same year, and was enlarged in 1880, and is attended by about 90 children. Among the Roman coins found here at various periods are several inscribed 'IC. DURO T.' The Primitive Methodists and the Friends have meeting-houses here.
The Poor's Land, 9A. 1R., is let for £13 5s. a year, which is distributed in clothing and blankets. The Fuel Allotment, 6A. 2R. 14P., awarded at the enclosure, is let for £9 10s. a year, which is distributed in coal. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of 40s., left by Robert Meek in 1598; the dividends of £356 15s. 6d. New 3½ per Cents., left by Thomas Clabburn in 1816; and the dividends of £45 three per cent. consols, left by Miss Bateman in 1828.
POST OFFICE at William Cann's. Delivery at 7.30 a.m. Letters viâ Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Abbs Francis wheelwright & carpenter Aves Jno. fmr. & sheep & cattle dresser Balls Philip farmer Betts William & Arthur farmers Blomfield Dennis farmer, miller, & mert. Brown Robt. vict. & shoe manufctur. The Bird in Hand Buck Mr Henry Burgess Daniel parish clerk Cousens Abel beerhouse, The Cherry Tree, and market gardener Cox Rev. Samuel curate Dann William vict. Horseshoes Davy George tailor Francis George fowl dealer Garrod Wm. school attendance officer & inspctr. of nsncs. for Depwade Union Kirkby Joseph hardware dealer Kirkby Joseph, jun. shopkeeper Johnson Mr E. Grove Tasburgh lodge Lammas Edwin travelling draper, &c. Marshall Solomon farmer; h Flordon Muskett Joseph shopkeeper Ormesby Miss Preston Rev. H.E. The Rectory Rackham Alfred farmer and dealer Rix George fmr. & bldr. Manor house Rix Robert farmer and builder Say Joshua shopkeeper Sayer Daniel vermin destroyer Smith George blacksmith Want Philip farmer and butcher Want Robert blacksmith Welch William farmer & genl. draper Westgate Saml. fmr.; h Morningthorpe Wright John pork butcher
CARRIER. - William Cooper, Long Stratton, Mon. Wed. & Sat.
See also the Tasburgh parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.