Tattersett or Gatesend
"TATTERSETT, or GATESEND parish, on the banks of the Tat rivulet 6 miles W. of Fakenham, has 160 inhabitants, and 1,757 acres of land, belonging to Sir Chas. Chad, Bart., who occasionally resides here at Pinkney Hall, an ancient mansion, formerly a seat of the Drurys, but his chief seat is Thursford Hall. He is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £685, with that of Tatterford annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. A. A. Turnour. The Church (All Saints,) is a small fabric with a tower. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
|All Saints and St Andrew, Tattersett alias Gatesend, Church of England|
|St Andrew, Sengham (near Tattersett), Church of England|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tattersett or Gatesend to another place.
Tattersett is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Tattersett or Gatesend has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Tattersett history
- Domesday Book, etc.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF847298 (Lat/Lon: 52.833988, 0.739944), Tattersett or Gatesend which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- See Norfolk People and Families