William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
TATTERSETT, or Gatesend parish, on the banks of the Tat rivulet, 6 miles W. of Fakenham, in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry, had 203 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1759 acres, and has a rateable value of £2606. J. S. Scott Chad, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of the soil, and occupies, as a shooting-box, PINKNEY HALL, which is an ancient mansion, formerly a seat of the Drurys.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 6s. 8d., is now consolidated with that of Tatterford.
The School, a neat brick and flint building, with teacher's residence attached, was erected in 1857 at a cost of £700, and is attended by about thirty children.
The poor have £2 12s. a year, left by John Tinkler in 1713; and the interest of £50 left by Samuel Nutt, in 1762. The two cottages left by Diana Drury have been sold, and the money, with the rest of the charities, has been invested in consols.
POST OFFICE at Mr. J. Walker's. Letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m., via Fakenham. East Rudham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bridges Robert blacksmith and beerhouse Pusey Miss Catherine schoolmistress Riches George farmer Walker Jacob postmaster, parish clerk and shopkeeper
See also the Tattersett parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.