William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TAVERHAM, a small village which gives name to a hundred, petty sessional division and rural deanery, is situated on the north bank of the Wensum, commanding a fine view of the vale, and distant 5½ miles N.W. of Norwich. Its parish is in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 207 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2069 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £2421.
Henry Sharndon Nathaniel Micklewait [sic], Esq., is the principal owner of the soil, and lord of the manor of Taverham Hall; but part of the parish is in the bishop's manor of Drayton. The copyholds in the latter are on fine certain, and in the former arbitrary.
The Hall, the residence of Mr. Micklethwait, was entirely rebuilt on a more splendid scale in 1860-61, and is of brick with stone dressings, in the Elizabethan style of architecture, and has a large lawn. The apartments are spacious and lofty, and have finely moulded ceilings. They contain a number of valuable paintings by Lely, Poussin, Canaletti, Holbein, and other great masters, several exquisite cabinets of marqueterie and buhl, &c. The gardens in front are terraced, and the flower-beds form arabesques and have a very striking effect.
In the village is a mill in which printing paper is manufactured.
The old church was destroyed by lightning in 1458. The present CHURCH (St. Edmund) is in the Early Decorated style, and comprises a nave with south aisle, a chancel, and a tower - round at the base and octagonal above. It contains an organ, a piscina, a chancel-screen, and some ancient stained glass; and was handsomely restored, refitted with open benches, and the aisle rebuilt by the Rev. J.N. Micklethwait in 1863, at a cost of £800. In 1873 a stained window was inserted by the Rev. J.N. Micklethwait, M.A., in memory of his mother, Lady Charlotte Micklethwait.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 5s. 5d., and now possessing 42 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent of £329 9s., awarded in 1844 in lieu of tithes, is in the alternate patronage of the Bishop of Norwich and H.S.N. Micklethwait, Esq. The Rev. Robert Clerke Burton, M.A., is the rector, and has a good residence.
The National School, a neat brick building, erected in 1851 at a cost of £358, is attended by 45 children.
POST from Norwich, viâ Drayton. Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.10 p.m.
Avery John foreman, paper manufactory
Burton Rev. Robert
Clerke, M.A. The Rectory
Cook George blacksmith
Delane & Co. paper manufacturers, and at Bawburgh
Eaton Walter joiner
Ford Miss Mary schoolmistress
Gayford Dennis farm bailiff
Mann Mathew joiner
Waring Mr W. The Hall
See also the Taverham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.