Terrington St John
"TERRINGTON ST. JOHN, 6 miles S.W. by W. of Lynn, is a parish and scattered village, chiefly on the Wisbeach road, containing 784 inhabitants, 185 houses and 2,506 acres of land, including roads and drains, comprised in the same manors as Terrington St. Clement, to which this was considered a parochial chapelry till 1843, when it was constituted a perpetual curacy, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Sir W. J. H. B. Ffolkes, Bart., Geo. P. Bentinck, John Fuller, and Robert Wright, Esqrs., are land owners, besides whom are a number of other proprietors, many of whom are residents. The Church, dedicated to St. John, stands on the north side of the parish, and was built "at Peyke's cross" in 1423, under a license granted by the Bishop of Ely, and made parochial by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1530. It is a handsome edifice, of brick, with a square tower containing six bells. The tower was repaired in 1843 at the cost of £150. The Rev. John Bramhall, B.A., the incumbent, has a neat parsonage house, . . . The Methodists have a Chapel here." [Francis White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]
See also Terrington St Clement.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John.
- The Fen and Marshland Churches
- This includes Terrington St John.
- Church of St John
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St John
- Description of the bells and picture of the church.
- Methodist Church
- Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts
- Greer, Sandy; Greer, Sally and Simon, Val
- Terrington St John Church of England Parish Registers (christenings, marriages and burials).
[Vol 1, 1538-1600, ISBN 0948147016, Seagull Enterprises, 1985]
[Vol 2, 1601-1650, ISBN 0948147024, Seagull Enterprises, 1987]
[Vol 3, 1651-1700, ISBN 0948147059, Seagull Enterprises, 1988]
[Vol 4, 1701-1750, ISBN 0948147067, Seagull Enterprises, 1991]
- Terrington St John people in Tilney All Saints and Tilney cum Islington
- Terrington St John Appraisal Committee
- Terrington St John: An appraisal of a Fenland Village, 1997-98.
[Terrington St John Appraisal Committee, 1997]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Terrington St John to another place.
Terrington St John is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Terrington St John has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF539155 (Lat/Lon: 52.715239, 0.277145), Terrington St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World Wars 1 and 2.