Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1912
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TESTERTON is a parish about 2 miles west from Ryburgh station, on the Dereham and Wells section of the Great Eastern railway, and 3 south-east by south from Fakenham, in the North Western division of the county, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of North Brisley and Toftrees, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Remigius, which fell into ruins many years since, has almost entirely disappeared, a portion of the tower alone now remaining: the inhabitants attend Colkirk church. The living is a sinecure rectory, net yearly value £9, in the gift of A. Browne esq. and held since 1910 by the Rev. Frederick Hugh Tatham M.A. of University College, Durham, and rector of Great Ryburgh.
Testerton Hall, a fine mansion, commanding an extensive prospect, erected by the late P.M. Case esq. and the property of Thomas Albert Cook esq. of Sennowe Hall, lord of the manor and sole landowner, is now occupied by Mr. Edgar Smith.
The soil is loamy, producing good crops of wheat, barley, oats and green crops generally. The parish contains 613 acres; rateable value £388; the population in 1911 was 42.
Letters through Fakenham, arrive at 7.30 a.m. & 5.15 p.m. when also letters are collected. The nearest money order & telegraph office is Great Ryburgh, 2 miles distant
The children of this place attend the school at Great Ryburgh
Keeley William farm bailiff to Edgar Smith esq Smith Edgar farmer, Testerton hall
See also the Testerton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.