William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TESTERTON, a small parish, 3 miles S.E. by S. of Fakenham, has only 23 inhabitants, 621 acres of land, and three dwellings, one of which is TESTERTON HOUSE, a handsome modern mansion on a pleasant acclivity, commanding an extensive prospect, and formerly the seat of Phillip Mallett Case, Esq., who erected it about 1802, and was distinguished for genuine English hospitality. He died in 1834, when the estate, comprising the whole parish and a small portion of Great Ryburgh and Oxwick, devolved to Mary, the wife of Thomas Wythe, Esq., of Middleton, but it is leased to Mrs. Margaret Rutland.
The family of Case flourished for nearly two centuries at Great Fransham; and one of them, the late Phillip Case, Esq., of Stradsett Hall, was more than 30 years clerk of the peace for Norfolk, and left several daughters married into the families of Browne, Hamond, and Bagge.
Testerton Church (St. Remigius,) has been long in ruins, though the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, is still continued as a sinecure, in the gift of T. Wythe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Bolton, who receives a yearly modus of £20 in lieu of tithes. Mrs. Margaret Rutland, of Testerton House, occupies the parish.
See also the Testerton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.