William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
THARSTON, a pleasant village, 10 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 1 mile N.W. of Long Stratton, has in its parish 388 souls, and 1502 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors, the largest of whom are Sir Robt. J. Harvey, and Wm. Gwyn, Esq., the former of whom is lord of the manor, (fines certain,) and lessee of the rectorial tithes, under the Bishop of Ely, who has also the patronage of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 1s. 8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Biggs. The tithes were commuted in 1838, the rectorial for £420, and the vicarial for £120 per annum.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) has a square tower and four bells.
The rent of 2A. of old Poor's Land, (£3,) is distributed in bread. The Poor's Allotment, 8A. 29P., awarded at the enclosure, in 1802, is let for £21, which is distributed in coals. For distributions of bread, the poor have also the dividends of £173. 7s. 10d. new 3½ per cents., purchased with £200 left by Thomas Clabburn, in 1815.
Duffield Wm. lime burner Evans John wheelwright Hart Henry corn miller Hearn Robert shoemaker Lansdell Abm. blacksmith Page Mary Ann gardener Neave John shopkpr. and joiner Smith Wm. vict. Chequers Wicks Mary beer seller Wright Luke shopkpr. and joiner farmers Abbs Robert Beckett Jas. Duffield Wm. Elliott Edw. Gibbs Chas. Jones Edw. King Samuel Neave John Reeve John Seaman James Smith Matthew Sword Thomas Thurston John M. and Robert (owners) Wicks Mary Womack John
See also the Tharston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.