William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THARSTON is a parish and a pleasant village about 1 mile N.E. of Forncett station, 10 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 1 mile W. of Long Stratton, in Depwade union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 375 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1582 acres, and has a rateable value of £2682.
The soil belongs to many proprietors, the largest of whom are Sir Charles Harvey, William B. Ringer, Robert John Fitch, and Robert Fitch, Esqs., and the former of whom is lord of the manor, in which the fines are certain. The Hall, a large Elizabethan mansion of brick, is the seat of Mr. William Gowing.
In the Oak-field, which belongs to William Ringer, Esq., stands an extraordinary oak tree, supposed to be at least 500 years old. Though of the pollard kind its boughs cover a space of 90 yards in circumference. At a foot from the base its trunk is 26 feet, and at five feet high 24 feet in circumference. At six feet from the ground it is divided into two great trunks, which, four feet higher, diverge into five grand divisions, each about the size of an ordinary tree.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) comprises nave, chancel, and lofty square tower with four bells. In the churchyard is a mausoleum, erected in 1855 by the late General Sir Robert John Harvey, C.B., who was buried beneath it in 1860. The chancel was restored some years ago by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the nave has recently been newly-roofed and reseated, &c., through the exertions of the present vicar.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 1s. 8d., is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. S. Cutler Hooley, who has a good residence, built in 1846, and enlarged in 1876. The tithes were commuted in 1838 - the rectorial for £460, and the vicarial for £120 a year. The gross income of the living, augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, is £297.
The SCHOOL is attended by about 60 children.
The rent of 2 acres of old Poor's Land (£3) is distributed in bread. The Poor's Allotment, 8A. 29P., awarded at the enclosure in 1802, is let for £25, which is distributed in coal. For distributions of bread, the poor have also the dividends of £173 7s. 10d., new 3½ per cents., purchased with £200, left by Thomas Clabburn in 1815, and of £100 3½ per cents., left by Sir R.J. Harvey, Kt., in 1860; also £200 consols, the interest of which is distributed yearly in clothing to six men and women.
POST. Letters, delivery at 8 a.m., despatch 6 p.m., viâ Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Abbs Mrs Louisa farmer Bassingthwaite Jas. frmr. & drillman Beckett Miss Rachel farmer Blinch Miss Mary Anne schlmistress Bright Mrs Eliza farmer Cannel Isaac farmer Christian Mr Frank Clamp Henry, sen. farmer Clamp Henry, jun. wheelwright and carpenter Clarke Robert farmer Duffield William Gallant farmer and lime burner Elliot Miss Hannah farmer Everett George farmer Foulger Jno. bricklayer & shopkeeper Fuller Charles farmer Gowing Frederick farmer Gowing Wm. farmer, Tharston Hall Hooley Rev. Sml. Cutler The Vicarage King Robert dealer and victualler, The Chequers Lloyd Henry machinist Lloyd Robert farmer Matthews Robt. farmer & victualler, Queen's Head Minister John farmer Phillipo Alfd. farmer, miller & mercht Pitcher James farmer Seaman John farmer Smith Charles blacksmith Smith Wm. drillman and shopkeeper Wright Thomas carpenter & shopkpr
See also the Tharston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.