Hide

Themelthorpe

hide
Hide

"THEMELTHORPE, a small scattered village, on an eminence, 3 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, has in its parish 94 souls, and 625A. 3R. 23P. of land, mostly belonging to S. Leeds, Esq., Sir R.P. Jodrell, and Lord Hastings. The latter is lord of the manor, (fine certain,) and patron of the Church (St. Andrew,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 2s. 8d., and consolidated with that of Bintree, in the incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Dashwood. The glebe here is 19A. 1R., and the tithes of this parish were commuted, in 1841, for £135 per annum. Themelthorpe Common was enclosed in 1811, and is mostly in Foulsham parish." [William White  History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
topup

Church History

Church of St Andrew
Church restoration fund, description, pictures, etc.
Church of St Andrew
Description and pictures.
Church of St Andrew
Services, etc.
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Themelthorpe was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Themelthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Themelthorpe is in Eynsford Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
Description of Eynsford Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Themelthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG057239 (Lat/Lon: 52.773797, 1.048162), Themelthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Themelthorpe became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18011414  70
18111516  87
18211920109
18311819  89
184118--  94
185118--  93
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186118--68
1871212185
1881202072
1891191985
1901191984
1911--2199

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1861 Census
"The decrease of population in the parishes of Themelthorpe, Wood-Dalling, Reepham, Cawston, and Corpusty is mainly attributed to the migration of labourers to other parts."