William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THEMELTHORPE, a small scattered village, on an eminence, 3 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, has in its parish 68 inhabitants and 652A. 2R. 1P. of land, mostly belonging to S. Leeds, Esq., Sir E.R. Jodrell, Bart., and Mrs. Edwards; but Lord Hastings is lord of the manor, in which the fines are certain.
The Church (St. Andrew) is a small fabric, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 2s. 8d., is consolidated with that of Bintree. (See page 692.) The glebe here is 19A. 1R., and the tithes of this parish were commuted in 1841 for £131 per annum.
Themelthorpe Common was enclosed in 1811, and is mostly in Foulsham parish.
The chief residents are-
Amiss Robt. farmer Burton Joseph farmer and victualler, Fox and Hounds Comer Wm. farm bailiff Jarvis John farmer Pumfrey John farmer Yarham Edmund farmer
POST from Thetford, viâ Foulsham.
See also the Themelthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.