William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THEMELTHORPE is a small scattered village, on an eminence, 3 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, and its parish is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 72 inhabitants in 1881, living on 652 acres, and has a rateable value of £876.
The soil mostly belongs to S. Leeds, Esq., the Rev. D. McAnally, the representatives of Sir E.R. Jodrell, Captain H. Edwards, and Messrs. - Blake and John Jarvis. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor, in which the fines are certain. Themelthorpe Common was enclosed in 1811, and is mostly in Foulsham parish.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small fabric, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 2s. 8d., is consolidated with that of Bintree. (See page 153 [which is the entry for Bintree].) The glebe here is 19A. 1R., and the tithes of this parish were commuted in 1841 for £131 per annum.
POST viâ East Dereham. Foulsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Butler Mrs Ellen farmer Cooper William Parker farmer Fairman Thomas farm bailiff Flood Mrs Sarah farmer Gant Thomas vict. Fox and Hounds Jarvis Mr John Yarham Edmund farmer and parish clerk
See also the Themelthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.