"THORNHAM is a large village, near the salt marshes, on the Hunstanton Road, 6 miles W. by N. of Burnham Market. It is in Smithdon hundred, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking union, Fakenham county court and Norwich bankruptcy district, Heacham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. About half a mile north of the village is a warehouse, at the head of a small creek from Brancaster Bay, . . . The parish extends to the beach, and had 653 inhabitants in 1881, and 2154 acres of land, mostly belonging to Captain Ames-Lynde, the lessee of the lands and rectorial tithes under the Bishop of Norwich, who has the larger manor. The rateable value is £3975. The Dean and Chapter have a small manor here; and the Hall is the property of Mrs. Margaret Hogge, of Lynn, but is now occupied as a farmhouse. The CHURCH is a spacious building, . . . The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now at £420, with that of Holme-next-the-Sea annexed, is in the alternate patronage of the Bishop and T. Ewen, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Ewen, M.A., who has here 14 acres of glebe and a handsome residence, built in 1848 at a cost of £2000. He has also a yearly tithe rent-charge of £250, besides £20 out of the great tithes, which have been commuted for £480 per annum. The Wesleyan Chapel was erected in 1870, at a cost of £180, and will seat 100 persons. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1869, at a cost of £350, and has 130 sittings. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, . . . was built in 1857 by the late William Hogge, Esq. It is attended by 140 children, and supported by voluntary subscriptions and school pence. In 1857 the vicar built here a commodious room for evening lectures, &c. . . . the parish has the right of sending four boys to the Free School in Brancaster." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © David E A Matthews]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- All Saints Church, Thornham
- Description, history and pictures.
- Butler-Stoney, Richard
- Thornham Church: the Church of All Saints.
- Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton
- All Saint's Church, Thornham.
[London, Home Words, 1962]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornham to another place.
Thornham is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thornham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Bett, Pleasance M.A. and Franklin, F.S.
- Thornham and its story.
[Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk Central Printers, 1989]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Thornham Inclosure Act, 1794.
An act for dividing, allotting, exchanging and inclosing the whole-year lands, open field lands, commonable marshes, commons and waste lands within the parish of Thornham in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF734434 (Lat/Lon: 52.960272, 0.579785), Thornham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)