"THORPE ABBOTS, 5 miles W.S.W. of Harleston, has in its parish 281 souls, and 1123 acres of land, anciently held by the abbots of Bury St. Edmund, and now belonging to several owners, the largest of whom are the Rev. E. Holland, (lord of the manor,) and the wife of Edw. Bridgman, Esq., owner of the Hall estate. The Cornwallis family were formerly lords of the manor. The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a tower, half round and half octangular. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now having a yearly rent of £335, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. J.P. Reade, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Wallace, B.A., is the incumbent, and has lately built a neat parsonage house." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the All Saints.
- Church of All Saints
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thorpe Abbotts to another place.
Thorpe Abbotts is in Earsham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Earsham Hundred
- Description of Earsham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thorpe Abbotts has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM194799 (Lat/Lon: 52.37277, 1.22197), Thorpe Abbotts which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)