Norfolk: Thorpe Abbotts
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THORPE ABBOTS, 5 miles W.S.W. of Harleston, has in its parish 281 souls, and 1123 acres of land, anciently held by the abbots of Bury St. Edmund, and now belonging to several owners, the largest of whom are the Rev. E. Holland, (lord of the manor,) and the wife of Edw. Bridgman, Esq., owner of the Hall estate. The Cornwallis family were formerly lords of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a tower, half round and half octangular. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now having a yearly rent of £335, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. J.P. Reade, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Wallace, B.A., is the incumbent, and has lately built a neat parsonage house.
The Town Land, 2A. 3R. 1P., given by an unknown donor, is let for £4, which is carried to the poor rates. At the enclosure, in 1803, an allotment of 42A. 2R. 31P., was awarded to the lord of the manor, subject to the yearly payment of £5, for distribution in coals among the poor.
Chenery John wheelwright Rayner Robert Raymond vict. Lion Wallace Rev. W., B.A. Rectory farmers Blackner John Smith J. Paul Joseph Brigham Jas. Rayner Wm. and Robert
(The three last are owners.)
See also the Thorpe Abbotts parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby