Norfolk: Thorpe Abbotts
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
THORPE ABBOTS, 5 miles W.S.W. of Harleston, is a parish 5 miles from Diss and Harleston Railway stations, in Depwade union, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Earsham hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has 225 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1144A. 3R. 15P., and has a rateable value of £1527.
The parish was anciently held by the abbots of Bury St. Edmund, and now belongs to Sir E.E. Kay, and the Rev. Edmund Hollond, of Benhall Lodge, Saxmundham (lord of the manor). The Cornwallis family were formerly lords of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints), in the Perpendicular style, comprises nave, chancel, and tower. The latter is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains two bells. In 1862 the building was partially restored by the Rev. William Wallace, a late rector. In 1864 the restoration was completed, and the church refitted with open benches having poppy-heads, and a new pulpit and reading-desk. Here is an ancient screen, and the font is handsomely carved with the evangelistic symbols, &c.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now having 17 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £340 5s., is in the patronage of J. C. Reade, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. Edmond James Gaussen, B.A., who has a good residence, built in 1839.
The National School, built in 1862, is attended by about 50 scholars.
At the enclosure, in 1803, an allotment of 42A. 2R. 31P., was awarded to the lord of the manor, subject to the yearly payment of £5, for distribution in coal among the poor.
POST from Scole arrives at 7 a.m. Wall Box closes at 6.30 p.m.; Sundays at 10.30 a.m. Scole is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Berry Charles gamekeeper Bryant Edgar miller Chenery Wm. carpenter & wheelwright Chilver Mrs Alfred shopkpr. & farmer Chinery John sexton Debenham Robert blacksmith, grocer, and pork butcher Gaussen Rev. Edmond J., B.A. Rectory Hart John farmer King John Lanchester farmer, and surveyor of highways, Thorpe Hall Manning - farm bailiff to the Hon. Mr Justice Kay Mark Thos. farmer, assistant overseer Marks Wm. gardener, Thorpe Abbots Self Miss Emma Agnes parochial schoolmistress Smith Henry farmer, Highfield Valiant William mason, bricklayer, and victualler, Lion
See also the Thorpe Abbotts parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby