"THORPE PARVA, 2½ miles E. of Diss, has only 18 souls, and about 350 acres of land, all in one farm, occupied by Mr. John Lines, and belonging to George St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., the patron of the Church (Virgin Mary,) which has been long in ruins, and the rectory (only £6 a year,) consolidated with Billingford; but the parish maintains its poor jointly with Scole and Frenze." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but is now in ruins.
- Church of St Mary
- Description and pictures of the ruined church.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thorpe Parva to another place.
Thorpe Parva is in Diss Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Diss Hundred
- Description of Diss Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thorpe Parva has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM160795 (Lat/Lon: 52.371355, 1.171975), Thorpe Parva which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)