Thorpe St Andrew
"THORPE-NEXT-NORWICH, or Thorpe St. Andrew, is a handsome village, delightfully situated 2 miles E. of Norwich, on the side of a declivity, which overlooks the city, the railway, and the river Yare, . . . The parish of Thorpe St. Andrew comprises about 2000 acres, and had 1041 inhabitants, in 1841, including 167 in the County Lunatic Asylum. Thorpe Hamlet, which maintains its poor, &c., as a member of the City and County of the City of Norwich, is ecclesiastically a part of this parish, . . . together with a large portion of Mousehold Heath, . . . Jas. Cuddon, Esq., is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to the Harvey, Wodehouse, Frost, Jecks, Blakiston, and other families, . . . the manor extends into great and Little Plumstead, Brundall, and Thorpe-Hamlet. The parish was anciently called Thorpe Episcopi. It was held by the Bishop, and the Prior and Convent of Norwich, from 1101 till it was seized by Henry VIII. The Bishop had a palace here, . . .The parish CHURCH is a thatched Gothic fabric, . . . The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £421. The Rev. Armine Herring is patron, and officiates for the Rev. James Maxwell, the incumbent. The Norfolk County Lunatic Asylum stands a little south-east of the village of Thorpe, three miles from Norwich. . . . The asylum is under the control of a committee of the county magistrates. W. Warner, M.D., is the physician; Mr. G.W.W. Firth, surgeon; Mr. Fras. John Blake, clerk and treasurer; the Rev. E. Cole, chaplain; and Mr. E. and Mrs. Owen, governor and matron. The Free School and charities of Thorpe parish are as follows:- In 1706, the Rev. Samuel Chapman left 45A. of copyhold land, at Brundall, in trust for the education of six poor children, . . . In 1730, a Mr. Newman left £50 for schooling poor children, . . . In 1766, Thomas Vere left £350, . . . The Free School, now conducted on the national system, " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- Hamlin, Philip E.
- Rosary Cemetery: Monumental Inscriptions, 1819-1986 and burials 1821-1837.
This is a non-denominational cemetery, with burials from all of Norwich and the county.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, Norfolk Genealogy v.18, 1986]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
|Congregational Chapel, Thorpe next Norwich or Episcopi, Independent|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
Until 1857, it had been in the Peculiar of the Bishop of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Church of St Andrew: Baptisms 1813-1880
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Extracts from the parish registers
- Buildings, collections, rectors, communion plate, school, etc.
- Names of Churchwardens
- Churchwardens' Rates
- Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1755-1756, and 1785-1786.
- Churchwardens' Payments, or Disbursements
- Payments for church repairs, communion bread and wine, etc.
- Collections for special appeals, disasters, relief of suffering, etc.
- 1815: Survivors of Waterloo
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Thorpe St Andrew Town Council
- Councillors, meetings, minutes, newsletters, etc.
- Fawcett, Trevor
- Thorpe Water Frolic.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.36, 1977]
- Thorpe St Andrew Parish Council
- Snippets 1895-1995: Thorpe St Andrew Parish Council: 100 years.
[Thorpe St Andrew Parish Council, 1995]
- See Thorpe Hamlet
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thorpe St Andrew to another place.
Thorpe St Andrew is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thorpe St Andrew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Barber, Harry
- Thorpe St Andrew 1895-1979.
- Nuthall, Trevor
- Thorpe St Andrew: a history.
[ISBN 0954335902, Norwich, 2002]
- Supple, William Rathborne
- A history of Thorpe-next-Norwich, otherwise Thorpe Episcopi and Thorpe St Andrew.
[London, Jarrolds, 1918]
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- The King's Head Public House, 36 Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew: a history.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1987]
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims (29): Thorpe next Norwich.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1800.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Thorpe Saint Andrew Inclosure Act, 1800.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing the commons and waste grounds within the parish of Thorpe next Norwich, in the county of Norfolk, and in the county of the city of Norwich.
[Independently printed edition of the act, 1800]
- Harvey Estate
- See Names, Personal, below.
- Kerrison Estate
- 1810: Sale of the Estate of Sir Roger Kerrison.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG268096 (Lat/Lon: 52.637022, 1.34994), Thorpe St Andrew which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Norfolk Lunatic Asylum
- Names of patients, admissions, treatments, punishments, discharges, etc.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- Cherry, Steven
- Mental Health Care in Modern England: the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum - St Andrew's Hospital, c.1810-1998.
[ISBN 0851159206, Boydell Press, 2003]
- Norfolk County Asylum
- Norfolk County Asylum, Thorpe, Norwich, 1814-1903, written for the occasion of the inspection by the Norfolk County Council, on 17th September 1903.
[Norwich, F. Crowe, 1903]
- See Norfolk People and Families
- Etheridge, Helen R., and Barr, Robert (editor)
- Happy leisure and hard work: Thorpe House School - the first hundred years.