William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THREXTON, a small parish, 2½ miles W. of Watton, is in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Wayland hundred, Wayland petty sessional division, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It had 80 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1097 acres, and has a rateable value of about £1097. About 400 acres of the soil belong to Joseph Trueman Mills, Esq., J.P., and the rest to Thomas Allday Barton, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at Threxton House. Several Roman coins, and a bronze fibula of the Anglo-Saxon period, have been found here.
The CHURCH, comprising nave, chancel, north aisle, and round tower with one bell, has been rebuilt since 1865, principally at the cost of the late T.E.W. Barton, Esq., J.P. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.4s.9d., formerly annexed to Swaffham. The tithe rent-charge is commuted at £170 with residence. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Alexander Warham Durdin, M.A., incumbent.
LETTERS through Thetford, via Watton, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Barton Thomas Allday farmer and landowner, Threxton house Cook Isaac farm bailiff to A.J. Tolman; h. Saham Durdin Rev. Alexander Rectory Warham, M.A. Hoggett James builder Hoggett John bricklayer
See also the Threxton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.