William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
THRIGBY is a hamlet and parish, 7 miles N.W. of Yarmouth, and is in Flegg union, East Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 92 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 575 acres of land, of which 224A. 3R. 5P. belong to the poor of Yarmouth, by the bequest of the Rev. Edward Warnes, in 1700; and the remainder is the property of Thomas Daniels, Esq., J.P., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a retired residence with pleasant grounds, in which are two remarkably fine yew fences, 12 feet high and 8 broad.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The Register dates from 1562. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, is now in the patronage of Thomas Daniels, Esq., J.P., and incumbency of the Rev. John Clapcott, B.A., who has 6 acres of glebe, a yearly rent-charge of £212 13s. in lieu of tithes, and a neat residence of white brick, built in 1863, at a cost of £700.
POST from Norwich, via Filby.
Bond Edgar farmer, Charity farm Clapcot Rev. John, B.A. Daniels Thomas, J.P. farmer & owner, The Hall Hood William farmer and miller Trett - parish clerk
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Thrigby parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.