"THURLTON, a pleasant village, about 5 miles E. of Loddon and N. of Beccles, has in its parish 405 souls, and 1170 acres of land, half of which is marsh, near the Waveney, and the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation. Jonathan Farrow, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to the Sayer, Hunt, Sewell, Burroughes, and some other families. The manor extends into Thorpe and Haddiscoe, and the fines are arbitrary. The Church (All Saints,) is a thatched fabric, with a square tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d. It is in the patronage of Norwich Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Watson. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £193. 18s. 3d. per annum. The Church Land, was exchanged at the enclosure, in 1814, for 3A. 1R. 26P., let for £12 a year. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
It is about 6 miles from Thurton.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thurlton to another place.
Thurlton is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thurlton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM417985 (Lat/Lon: 52.530425, 1.562031), Thurlton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)