William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THURNING, or Thirning, is a parish of scattered houses, 6 miles S. of Holt, and 4½ miles N. of Reepham, containing 166 souls, and 1594A. 1R. 19P. of land. W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Lord Hastings, J. Richardson, Esq., and James Gay, Esq. The latter is seated at the Hall, a neat mansion, with a fine lawn and small lake.
CRIMES BECK gives name to a small hamlet, on the north side of the parish.
The Church (St. Andrew) was new roofed about 18 years ago. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, has 18 acres of glebe, a good residence, rebuilt in 1832, and a yearly rent of £370, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Christ College, Cambridge, and the Rev. Henry Wm. Blake is the incumbent.
The other residents are,
Eke Maria shopkeeper Gay James, Esq. Hall Pointin Henry blacksmith Reynolds Wm. miller Rider Samuel shopkeeper farmers Barber Jas. Rash Bidwell John Fransham Daniel Laskey Wm. Pye John Rix Wm.
See also the Thurning parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.