"THURTON, 7½ miles S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 246 souls, and 748A. of land, belonging to several owners. Sir W. B. Procter is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the CHURCH (St. Ethelbert,) . . . The living is a perpertual curacy, valued in 1831 at £70, and enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Hobson, B.D. of Sisland. It was augmented from 1767 to 1824, with £1,000 of Q.A.B. " [William WhiteHistory, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
Thurton is about 6 miles from Thurlton.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Ethelbert.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thurton to another place.
Thurton is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thurton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG329011 (Lat/Lon: 52.557464, 1.433885), Thurton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)