Hide

Thwaite

hide
Hide

"THWAITE, or Thwayte, a small scattered village, on a pleasant acclivity, above a small rivulet, 4 miles N. of Aylsham, has in its parish 170 souls, and 608 acres, of which 482A. are assessable, and 50 are common. The Earl of Orford owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The CHURCH, (All Saints,) has a round tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book [at] £7, and now having about 7A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £200, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. John Stewart, of Erpingham, is the incumbent. . . . .  Mrs. Lydia Baret, who has an estate and neat mansion in the parish, erected two School Rooms, with a house for the teachers, in 1835, at a cost of about £800. She supports the schools, on the national system, for the education of about 80 children." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide

Thwaite All Saints may also be found as Alby with Thwaite.
See also Alby and Thwaite St Mary near Loddon.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
topup

Church History

Church of All Saints
Description and pictures.
Holman, Peter
Six high and lonely churches.
St Giles, Bradfield; St Peter, Corpusty; St Peter, North Barningham; All Saints, Skeyton; All Saints, Thwaite; St Andrew, Wickmere.
[ISBN 0952156474, Aylsham, Aylsham Local History Society, 1997]
topup

Church Records

Archdeacons' Transcripts
Alby with Thwaite Baptisms 1675-1812, Marriages 1675-1811 and Burials 1675-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Thwaite All Saints was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Thwaite which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Thwaite All Saints is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of South Erpingham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Thwaite has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG198325 (Lat/Lon: 52.84485, 1.262956), Thwaite which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Thwaite All Saints became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.