Norfolk: Thwaite All Saints
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
THWAITE, or Thwayte, a small scattered village on a pleasant acclivity, above a small rivulet, 4 miles N. of Aylsham. It is in Aylsham union, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 138 inhabitants in 1881, and comprised 676 acres of land. The rateable value was £1018. There is a common of 50 acres. The Earl of Orford owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has a round tower and a chancel, which was restored in 1875 by the late rector at a cost of £280. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, and now having about 7 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £200, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. N.G. Philpott is the incumbent, and has a good residence.
A late rector, the Rev. John Stewart, was author of several works which evince a fine poetical imagination and a pure devotional spirit, and obtained for the reverend author the name of the 'Gessner of England.'
The National School was erected in 1835 by the late Miss Baret, at a cost of £800, including the teacher's house. Mr John Robert Cook, of Thwaite Hall, farms the whole parish, except 14 acres in the occupation of Aurelius Gray.
POST from Norwich, viâ Hanworth.
Ames John farmer; h Alby Blyth Dennis carpenter, farmer, assist. overseer and rate collector Cook Jno. Robt. frmr. & ownr. The Hall Gray Aurelius farmer, Common Panting Miss Mary Jane schlmistrss Philpott Rev. Newnham Geo., B.D. rector, The Rectory Sistern John parish clerk; h Alby Standen Mr Richard Spiers White house
See also the Thwaite All Saints parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.