Thwaite St Mary
"THWAITE, in a picturesque dell, 12 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 110 souls, and 667 acres of land, lying in several manors, and belonging to Sir W. F. F. Middleton, J. J. Bedingfeld, Esq., the Exors of St. Andrew St. John[sic], Esq., and a few smaller owners. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) was partly rebuilt of brick in 1738. The south door has a semi-circular arch, with six different mouldings, and in one of the windows is painted St. Edmund, the King and Martyr. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £4, and in 1831 at £150, has 3A. of glebe. Sir W. F. F. Middleton is patron, and the Rev. Robt. Cobb, of Ellingham, incumbent. The parish clerk has 13s. a year, left by unknown donors." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
See also Thwaite All Saints near Aylsham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thwaite St Mary to another place.
Thwaite St Mary is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Thwaite St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM333949 (Lat/Lon: 52.502195, 1.43539), Thwaite St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)