Hide

Tilney cum Islington

hide
Hide

"ISLINGTON, or TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, 3 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, is a parish of dispersed houses on the west bank of that broad part of the old river Ouse, which has been converted into pasture ground since the diversion of the waters into the Eau-Brink-Cut.  Islington contains 251 inhabitants, and 1,510 acres of land, extending southward to the Smeeth and Fen, and including the hamlets of THORNTON's BRIDGE and LORD's BRIDGE, from 2½ to 3½ miles S. of ISLINGTON HALL,  . . . seat of Edw. Bagge Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The manor extends into the adjacent parish of Tilney-All-Saints. The CHURCH, a neat structure  . . .  dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £74, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. James Royle, of Stanfield. The glebe is 5A., and the Church land 2A. At Thornton's Bridge are six cottages, belonging to the poor, and rebuilt in 1834." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide
Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
topup

Church History

Church of St Mary
Description and pictures.
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
Parish Registers
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials
Archdeacon's Transcripts
Marriages
Strays - These are people in Tilney cum Islington parish registers who are from another parish.
Strays in the Baptisms
Strays in the Burials
topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Tilney cum Islington was in Wisbech Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Tilney cum Islington is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.

You can see the administrative areas in which Tilney cum Islington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Enclosure
See Walpole St Peter
topup

Maps

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Wisbech Registration District, 1836
and nearby places.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF571169 (Lat/Lon: 52.726931, 0.324932), Tilney cum Islington which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Tilney cum Islington became part of the Wisbech Union, and the workhouse was at Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.