Tilney cum Islington
"ISLINGTON, or TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, 3 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, is a parish of dispersed houses on the west bank of that broad part of the old river Ouse, which has been converted into pasture ground since the diversion of the waters into the Eau-Brink-Cut. Islington contains 251 inhabitants, and 1,510 acres of land, extending southward to the Smeeth and Fen, and including the hamlets of THORNTON's BRIDGE and LORD's BRIDGE, from 2½ to 3½ miles S. of ISLINGTON HALL, . . . seat of Edw. Bagge Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The manor extends into the adjacent parish of Tilney-All-Saints. The CHURCH, a neat structure . . . dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £74, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. James Royle, of Stanfield. The glebe is 5A., and the Church land 2A. At Thornton's Bridge are six cottages, belonging to the poor, and rebuilt in 1834." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Church of St Mary
- Description and pictures.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Parish Registers
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials
- Archdeacon's Transcripts
- Strays - These are people in Tilney cum Islington parish registers who are from another parish.
- Strays in the Baptisms
Strays in the Burials
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tilney cum Islington to another place.
Tilney cum Islington is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tilney cum Islington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See Walpole St Peter
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Wisbech Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF571169 (Lat/Lon: 52.726931, 0.324932), Tilney cum Islington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)