Tilney St Lawrence
"TILNEY ST. LAWRENCE, 6 ½ miles S.W. of Lynn, and the same distance E.N.E. of Wisbech, is a large but scattered village and parish, which has increased its population since the year 1801, from 362 to 762 souls, and comprises 3,076A. 2R. 5P. of enclosed land, belonging to a number of freeholders, and partly lying in the same manors as Tilney All Saints, to which this is considered a parochial chapelry, - the benefice and tithes being in the same incumbency, patronage and appropriation; but the parishioners refused, some years ago to pay church rates to All Saints, having their own large CHURCH (dedicated to St. Lawrence,) to keep in repair. The latter appears to be as ancient as the former, and consequently, we should presume there is legally no other connexion between them, further than the consolidation of the livings. The glebe here is 5 acres, and the Church land 7 ½ acres. The vicar has here 3A. of land, left by John Crane. . . . The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, and another at FEN-END, a hamlet partly in this parish." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Lawrence.
- Church of St Lawrence
- Description and pictures.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts
- Tilney St Lawrence people in Tilney All Saints and Tilney cum Islington
- Tilney St Lawrence Parish Council
- Councillors, meetings, minutes, etc.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tilney St Lawrence to another place.
Tilney St Lawrence is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tilney St Lawrence has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See Walpole St Peter
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Wisbech Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF549143 (Lat/Lon: 52.704475, 0.291478), Tilney St Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World Wars 1 and 2.