"TITCHWELL, 5 miles W. by N. of Burnham-Market, is a small village over looking the salt-marshes and Brancaster Bay. Its parish has 166 souls, and 1,430 acres of land, a great part of which, with the manor, belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, but is held on lease by Leonard Lowther Thompson, Esq., ... and resides at Sheriff Hutton, near York. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a round tower, … The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 has about 16A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £406 13s., awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Eton College, and the Rev. Fdk. Browning, M.A., is the incumbent. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, . . . the parish has the privilege of sending four boys to the Free School at Brancaster." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Titchwell is well known for the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) reserve which is nearby.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- Church of St Mary the Virgin
- Description, history and pictures.
- Linnell, Charles L.S.
- The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Titchwell.
[Titchwell Parochial Church Council, 1983]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Titchwell to another place.
Titchwell is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Titchwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Titchwell Inclosure Act, 1786.
An act for dividing and inclosing the open fields, meadows, pastures and other commonable lands and grounds within the parish of Tichwell, in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF760437 (Lat/Lon: 52.961823, 0.618496), Titchwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)