William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845TITCHWELL, 5 miles W. by N. of Burnham-Market, is a small village over looking the salt-marshes and Brancaster Bay. Its parish has 166 souls, and 1,430 acres of land, a great part of which, with the manor, belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, but is held on lease by Leonard Lowther Thompson, Esq., who has also a small freehold here, and resides at Sheriff Hutton, near York. At the enclosure in 1786, about 220A. of salt-marsh was embanked from the influx of the tides, which formerly flowed nearly up to the Rectory-house.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a round tower, surmounted by a short wooden spire, covered with lead. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 has about 16A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £406 13s., awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Eton College, and the Rev. Fdk. Browning, M.A., is the incumbent.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and at the cross roads is the shaft of an ancient cross.
The Church Land, 8A. 2R., is let for £16. For weekly doles of bread, the poor have a yearly rent-charge of £1 14s. 8d., left by Jas. Dalling, in 1640. They have also one-third of Walterson's Charity, as noticed with Thornham; and the parish has the privilege of sending four boys to the Free School at Brancaster.
Browning Rev. Fredk., M.A. Rectory Barker Ann farmer Dodman Martin merchant & farmer Oake Robt. shoemaker Temple John vict., Horse Shoes Youngs John shopkeeper
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Titchwell parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.