"TITTLESHALL-CUM-GODWICK forms a parish, with a neat village of the former name, 2 miles N. of Litcham, and 6 miles S. by W. of Fakenham. The parish is in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Loddon petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 514 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3364 acres, and had a rateable value of £4366. Nearly all the parish, ... belong to the Earl of Leicester, and forms the manors of Greynstones, or Caley, Coxford, Godwick hall, Peekhall, and Newhall, and part of the manors of Whissonsett and Burghwoodhall. Sir William Foster, Bart., is steward for these manors, and holds the court leet and baron in October; . . . The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a neat structure of Perpendicular architecture, . . . at the north side of the chancel is the vault of the Coke family. Here is a splendid marble monument to Sir Edward Coke . . . likewise . . . effigies of Sir Edward's wife and eight children. The late venerable Earl of Leicester was interred in 1842 in this church, where there is a monument in memory of his first wife (Mrs. Coke), . . .The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 12s. 8d., was consolidated with those of Godwick and Wellingham, in 1630, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Leicester, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Kenelm Henry Digby, M.A., . . . The National School was built in 1836 by the rector, who in 1863 also erected an Infants' School, . . . The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. GODWICK, now only one farm, 1 mile N. of Tittleshall, was anciently a separate parish, but its church, of which the ruined tower still remains, . . . The old Hall, now in ruins, was built by Sir Edward Coke. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © David E A Matthews]
|Chapel [now Methodist Church], Tittleshall with Godwick, Primitive Methodist|
|Chapel, Tittleshall with Godwick, Wesleyan Methodist|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tittleshall-cum-Godwick to another place.
Tittleshall cum Godwick is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Tittleshall-cum-Godwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF893211 (Lat/Lon: 52.754373, 0.804061), Tittleshall-cum-Godwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)