Norfolk: Tivetshall St Margaret
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TIVETSHALL ST. MARGARET, partly on an eminence, 6 miles N.N.E. of Diss, has in its parish 368 souls, and 1698 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor.
The Church has a tower and five bells, and the living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Tivetshall St. Mary.
The Society of Friends have an old meeting-house and burial-ground here.
The Poor's Allotment, 6A., awarded at the enclosure in 1808, is let for £12. In the 17th century, Jeffrey Neeve left 6A. 11P. of copyhold land, in Moulton, in trust for the repairs of St. Margaret's church, except the yearly payment of 13s. 4d., to each of the two parishes of Tivetshall, for distribution among the poor. This land, with an allotment of 1R. 3P., awarded to it at the enclosure, is let for £12.
Booty James grocer Mouncey John shoemaker Mullenger Robert vict., Star Pretty Wm. shoemaker farmers. Carpenter John Coleman John Dix James Downes Wm. Everett James George Samuel Holmes John (Hall) Leggett Samuel Sporsey George Sutton Mary Wiffin J.
See also the Tivetshall St Margaret parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.