Norfolk: Tivetshall St Margaret


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

TIVETSHALL ST. MARGARET, partly on an eminence, 6 miles N.N.E. of Diss, is a parish in Depwade union, Diss hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy court district, Diss polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 339 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1668 acres of land. The rateable value is £3023. J.Hotson, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), the Rev. G. M. Norris, Mrs. Spelman, Jabez Jarvis Spelman, and Randall E. Burroughes, Esq., are the chief owners.

Here is a station on the Great Eastern Railway, from Norwich to Colchester, &c., near its junction with the Waveney Valley line, which extends eastward to Harleston, Bungay, &c. An oak tree in this parish is supposed to be the largest in the county, measuring 21 feet in circumference. Extensive manure works were erected here in 1858 by Mr. Alexander William Pashley, and give employment to many hands.

The CHURCH consists of nave, chancel, and square tower with five bells, and was partially restored and much improved in 1862. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Tivetshall St. Mary.

The Society of Friends has an old meeting house and burial-ground, and the Wesleyans have a small chapel here.

(For SCHOOL BOARD, see Tivetshall St. Mary.)

The Poor's Allotment, 6 acres, awarded at the enclosure in 1808, is let for £12. In the 17th century Jeffrey Neeve left 6A. 11P. of copyhold land in Moulton, in trust for the repairs of St. Margaret's Church, except the yearly payment of 13s. 4d., to each of the two parishes of Tivetshall, for distribution among the poor. This land, with an allotment of 1R. 3P., awarded to it at the enclosure, is let for £12.

POST at Tivetshall St. Mary's.

         Davey     Edward              coal dealer & shopkpr
         Denney    George              blacksmith
         Everett   James               farmer
         Fenn      Friday Jno.         vict. Railway Hotel
         Filbee    William             corn merchant
         Fisher    Robert King         farmer
         George    Mrs.                The Lodge
         Harris    James               farmer and dealer
         Harvey    George              farmer
         Moore     John                victualler, The Star
         Mullenger George              shopkpr. & farmer
         Mullenger William             farmer
         Nichols   Ziba                farmer
         Pretty    Robt.               shoemkr. & parish clerk
         Read      Thomas Matthews     maltster and merchant;
                                         and King st, Norwich
         Sandell   Charles & John      farmers
         Sandell   Charles (S.C. & J.) farmer
         Sandell   John (S.C. & J.)    farmer
         Self      George              corn miller and farmer
         Spelman   Mrs Georgiana       The Hall
         Spelman   Jabez Jarvis        farmer and owner, The Hall
         Symonds   Rev. Hy., M.A.      The Rectory [see note below]
         Tillett   William             farmer
         Upshaw    Mr Reginald
         Youngs    Jacob               manager

Note: In the original this is Symondt.

See also the Tivetshall St Margaret parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2001