Tivetshall St Mary
"TIVETSHALL ST. MARY lies south of the above [Tivetshall St Margaret], 5½ miles N.N.E. of Diss, and has in its parish 331 souls, and 1125 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor and patron of the Church, which has a tower and five bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831, at £760, with that of Tivetshall St. Margaret annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.N. White, B.D., who has here 28A. of glebe and a handsome Rectory House, with pleasant grounds. The tithes of St. Mary's parish were commuted, in 1839, for £439, and those of St. Margaret's for £530 per annum. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Tivetshall St Margaret.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tivetshall St Mary to another place.
Tivetshall St Mary is in Diss Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Diss Hundred
- Description of Diss Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Tivetshall St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM172859 (Lat/Lon: 52.427862, 1.193558), Tivetshall St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)