Norfolk: Tivetshall St Mary
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TIVETSHALL ST. MARY lies south of the above [Tivetshall St Margaret], 5½ miles N.N.E. of Diss, and has in its parish 331 souls, and 1125 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor and patron of the Church, which has a tower and five bells.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831, at £760, with that of Tivetshall St. Margaret annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.N. White, B.D., who has here 28A. of glebe and a handsome Rectory House, with pleasant grounds. The tithes of St. Mary's parish were commuted, in 1839, for £439, and those of St. Margaret's for £530 per annum.
The poor have yearly 13s. 4d. from Neeve's charity; 15s. from land allotted to the town-house; £2. 8s. from 5 roods called Town yard; the interest of £10, left by an unknown donor; and £6. 10s. from the Fuel Allotment, 3A., awarded at the enclosure.
Bell Eliz. shopkeeper Bond John bricklayer Burgess Wm. vict., Ram Gowing Wm. blacksmith Gibson Frederick corn miller Thrower John gent. West Robert grocer White Rev. Jno. Rectory Neville, B.D. farmers. Andrews John Bennett Robert Beaumont Mrs. Cullingham John Dix George and James Gardener John Hewitt John and Robert Holmes Robert Watson Abm.
The latter is carrier to Norwich, every Wednesday and Saturday.
See also the Tivetshall St Mary parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.