Norfolk: Tivetshall St Mary
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TIVETSHALL ST. MARY lies south of the above [Tivetshall St Margaret], 5½ miles N.N.E. of Diss, and about 2 miles from Tivetshall Railway Station, and its parish is in Depwade union, Diss hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Diss polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 299 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1125 acres. The rateable value is £1606. The chief owners are John Aldous and James Hill, Esqs., Sir Kenneth H. Kemp, Bart., and Miss E. Dix. John Hotson, Esq., is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH is a large edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and square tower with five bells, and its thatched roof was replaced by a tiled one a few years ago. There is a piscina on the south side of the chancel.
The living is a rectory, with that of Tivetshall St. Margaret annexed to it, and was valued in the King's Book at £20. It is in the patronage of the Earl of Orford, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Symonds, who has here 28 acres of glebe and a handsome residence, which was almost entirely rebuilt about 53 years ago, and is surrounded by pleasant grounds. The tithes of St. Mary's parish were commuted, in 1839, for £439, and those of St. Margaret's for £530 per annum.
The poor have yearly 13s. 4d. from Neeve's charity; 15s. from land allotted to the town house; £2 8s. from five roods called Town Yard; the interest of £10, left by an unknown donor; and £6 10s. from the Fuel Allotment, 3 acres, awarded at the enclosure.
A SCHOOL BOARD for the united parishes of St. Mary and St. Margaret was formed in 1875, and a new school was built with accommodation for over 100 children. J. J. Spelman, Esq., is chairman; J. Aldous, Esq., vice-chairman; and the other members are Messrs. John Green Sandell, Robert King Fisher, and Frederick Shulver. Mr Robert Borrett, of Pulham Market, is clerk.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Harvey's. Letters arrive at 8.15 a.m., and are despatched at 6 p.m., via Scole. The nearest Money Order Office is Pulham Mary, and the nearest Telegraph Office is Pulham Market.
Aldous John farmer and owner Bensley Mrs Catherine shopkeeper Boyce John shopkeeper & parish clerk Brown Richard machinist Brown William farmer Brunel Lieut.-Colonel farmer Burgess Charles victualler, The Ram Chapman John blacksmith Dix Miss Elizabeth Haines Frederick schoolmaster Harvey Robt. wheelwright, carpenter, farmer and sub-postmaster Haunton David farmer Lain Robert farmer Nichols Elijah shoemaker Norman George farmer Sutton Mrs Hannah shopkeeper
See also the Tivetshall St Mary parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.