"TOFT-MONKS, 6 miles S.E. by E. of Loddon, and 4 miles N. of Beccles, has in its parish 349 inhabitants, and 2195A. of land, including 600A. of marsh, and 76A. of woods and plantations. The principal owners of the soil are W. Carpenter, Esq., Mr. S. Grimmer, and the Master and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge. The latter are lords of the manor, appropriators of the great tithes, (commuted in 1840, for £496 per ann.,) and patrons of the Church, (St. Margaret,) which is a small fabric with an elegant tower. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and consolidated with that of Haddiscoe. The glebe is 26A., and the common 13A. The Town Estate consists of three tenements, a garden, and 11A. 3R. 3P., let for £28 a year, which is applied with the church rates. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Dawn Quadling]
Toft Monks is also called Toftmonks and Toft Monachorum.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Church of St Margaret
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Toft Monks to another place.
Toft Monks is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Toft Monks has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM430947 (Lat/Lon: 52.496212, 1.577994), Toft Monks which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)