William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TOTTINGTON, a small village, on the Thetford road, 4 miles S. by W. of Watton, has in its parish 308 inhabitants, and 3213 acres of light sandy soil, nearly all the property of Lord Walsingham, the lord of the manor. At the enclosure, in 1774, about 60 acres were left open as a Fuel Allotment, but part of it is now in plantations, belonging to Lord Walsingham.
The Church (St. Andrew) is a large edifice of the perpendicular period, comprising nave, aisles, south porch, chancel, and square tower with six bells. It contains an elegantly carved rood screen, several monuments of the Hare and Duffield families, and some ancient slabs stripped of their brasses. The spire was taken down in 1802. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 14s. 9d., is in the patronage of the trustees of Chigwell School, Essex, to whom the rectorial tithes (£400) belong. The Rev. Samuel Cutler Hooley is the incumbent, and has an acre of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £61. 14s. 3d., and a good residence, erected in 1861.
The School for the parishes of Merton, Thompson, Sturston, and Tottington, is attended by 60 children, and was built in 1849 by Lord Walsingham. It has a small library of 100 vols., and attached to it is a house for the master.
POST from Thetford.
Chilvers John wheelwright & smith Chilvers Samuel butcher Fuller John farm bailiff Herring William parish clerk Hooley Rev. Samuel Cutler Vicarage Taylor Robert West schoolmaster Walker Robert farm bailiff Watson Simon shopkeeper FARMERS. Barton Geo. West Westmere farm Buckle Israel Palmer Thos. East Westmere farm Harvey Edm. Jas. Towler William BOOT AND SHOEMAKERS. Chilvers William Herring John
See also the Tottington parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.