William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TRIMINGHAM, a small village on the lofty sea cliffs, is about 6 miles N. of North Walsham, and 5 miles E.S.E. of Cromer, like which it is subject to the encroachments of the ocean, which washed away two farm-houses about twenty years ago. A sea wall, or breakwater, was erected in 1842, by the late Sir T.F. Buxton. The parish contains 222 souls, and about 500A. of land, mostly belonging to Sir E.N. Buxton, Bart., and Lord Suffield. The latter is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. John,) was visited in ancient times by pilgrims, who came to see the head of St. John the Baptist, which the priests pretended they had got. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, was augmented, in 1793, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and had upwards of five acres of glebe, but more than half of it has gone into the sea. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £142 per annum, of which £7. 10s. belongs to the rector of Sidestrand. The Queen is patroness, and the Rev. Robert Steele, of Paston, is the incumbent.
John Warnes, jun., Esq., has a neat house here, and built the school, where about thirty poor children are instructed. For some years, he has used great exertions for the revival of the growth of flax in this and other counties. (See p.35 [which is the Soil and Agriculture section of the History of Norfolk].)
Hall Thomas wheelwright, pump maker, and vict., Crown and Anchor Pycroft Geo. blacksmith Riches Hannah schoolmistress Warnes John, jun., Esq. farmers. Boardman Thomas Brown Thomas (flax dealer) Curtis John Long Daniel (owner) Newman Richard (owner) Mileham John Paine Benjamin Plumbly Richard Slapp J.
See also the Trimingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.