William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TRIMINGHAM, a small village on the lofty sea cliffs, is about 6 miles N. of North Walsham, and 5 miles E.S.E. of Cromer, and its parish is in Erpingham union, North Erpingham petty sessional division and hundred, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 194 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 485 acres. The rateable value is £870.
Like Cromer, Trimingham is subject to the encroachments of the ocean, which washed away two farm houses and several acres of land in 1822. A breakwater was erected in 1842, by the late Sir T.F. Buxton, Bart. At present six breakwaters are in course of construction by T. Fowell Buxton, Esq., to whom most of the land belongs. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor.
The coastguard station here has been abandoned, but the place is furnished with a rocket apparatus for communicating with distressed vessels; there is no lifeboat. From the ruins of an old beacon on a lofty eminence in this parish, said to be the highest point on the Norfolk coast, above fifty churches may be seen on a clear day. Here are several small fishing boats.
The CHURCH (St. John) stands on the cliffs, and is said to have been visited in the dark ages by many pilgrims, who came to see the head of St. John the Baptist, which the priests had!! It comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and low tower with one bell. The ancient piscina, sedilia, and stoup still remain, and the panels of the screen retain the original paintings of figures of saints, in good preservation. The building was restored by subscription in 1855, and re-fitted with open seats, &c., at a cost of £900. One of the chancel windows is filled with stained glass, in memory of a late rector.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, was augmented, in 1793, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and had upwards of five acres of glebe, but more than half of it has gone into the sea. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £142 per annum, of which £7 10s. belong to the rector of Sidestrand. The patronage is in the Duchy of Lancaster, and the Rev. Abraham Matchett is the incumbent.
The School was built in 1849, by the Buxton family, and is supported by T. Fowell Buxton, Esq.
POST from Norwich, viâ North Walsham.
Bates Samuel farmer Beckett Robert farmer, The Hall Blower Michael shopkeeper Breese Mr Robert Copeman Culley bricklayer Cubitt George wheelwright and vict. Crown and Anchor Inn Cubitt Samuel farmer Hammond Miss Amelia schoolmistress Marshall John lime burner Matchett Rev. Abraham rector, The Rectory Olley Robert parish clerk Olley William carrier Randell James blacksmith Wright Abraham farmer Wright Mrs Elizabeth farmer
CARRIER - William Olley, to North Walsham, Wed. and Sat.
See also the Trimingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.