"TUDDENHAM (EAST) is a pleasant village of detached houses, 6 miles E. of East Dereham, and 9 miles W. of Norwich; comprising in its parish 103 inhabitants, and 1085 acres of land, forming the manors of Cockfields, Astleys, Berrys and Aphaws [sic], of which Lord Bayning is lord; but S. and J.K. Gooch, Esqrs., have estates here, . . . The CHURCH (All Saints) stands half a [mile] from the village, and is a neat Gothic structure, . . . and several other devices, painted by the widow of the late vicar, the Rev. Edward Mellish, Dean of Hereford, who died in 1830, . . . and a mutilated effigy, supposed to represent Sir Edm. de Berry. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7.6s., was augmented in 1723 with £200, given by F. Tilney, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. It is consolidated with that of Honingham. The Rev. Wm. Smith is the incumbent, and Lord Bayning is the patron and impropriator. Here is a National School for this parish and Honingham. East Tuddenham TOWN LANDS, 16A.1R., were given by John Proo, in the 19th of Henry VIII., to pay the common charges of the parish. … There are also five cottages, supposed to have been given by John Proo, and occupied by paupers. "[William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
See also North Tuddenham.
- Mid-Norfolk FHS
- All Saint's Church, East Tuddenham: Memorial Inscriptions.
[Mid-Norfolk FHS, 1990s?]
- The parish is in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- East Tuddenham
- Description, history, pictures, organisations, events, etc.
- 1836: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1850: Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Tuddenham to another place.
East Tuddenham is in Mitford hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Tuddenham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Historical Outline by the PRO.
- Based on census information.
- Great Britain: Statute
- East Tuddenham Inclosure Act, 1802.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing the open fields, commons, and waste grounds, within the parish of East Tuddenham, in the county of Norfolk.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Mitford and Launditch Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG081113 (Lat/Lon: 52.659882, 1.075115), East Tuddenham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)