"TUNSTALL, 8 miles W. of Yarmouth, has in its parish 116 souls, and about 1611 acres of land, mostly the property of Andrew Fountaine, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is in ruins, except the small chancel, which is used for divine service. The land is tithe free, and the living is a perpetual curacy, certified at £6. 13s. 4d., and valued, in 1831, at £56. It was augmented, from 1743 to 1801, with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty, which was laid out in land. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Thomas C. Haddon is incumbent, and has £6 a year from the lord of the manor."[William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tunstall to another place.
Tunstall is in Walsham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Walsham Hundred
- Description of Walsham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Tunstall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG418080 (Lat/Lon: 52.616182, 1.570528), Tunstall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)