William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TWYFORD parish, 6 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, has only 60 inhabitants, and 529 acres of land, mostly the property of the executors of the late Col. Packe, who are lords of the manor. Mrs. Packe resides at Twyford Hall, a neat mansion with pleasure grounds. Benj. Francis, Esq., and Miss Robins have also estates here, and the former has a good residence, called Twyford Place.
The Church (St. Nicholas) has a short brick tower over the south porch, surmounted by a wooden belfry, and contains a font supposed to be of the Norman period. It was thoroughly restored and reseated in 1858.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 19s. 9½d., and now having 12A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £155, awarded in 1838 in lieu of tithes, was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1792, and is now consolidated with the vicarage of Guist, in the alternate patronage of W. Norris, Esq., and the Rev. John Norris Spurgeon, M.A., the latter of whom is also the incumbent, and lives at Twyford House, which is his own property, the rectory house being in a dilapidated condition.
The Fuel Allotment, 10 acres, let for £13, was awarded in 1796. The poor have also 15s. a year, from half an acre, given by an unknown donor.
The chief residents are -
Francis Benj., Esq. Hubbard Isaac gardener Nicholson Edw. farmer Packe Mrs. Eliz. Savory Edw. parish clerk Spurgeon Rev. J.N., B.A.
POST via Thetford.
Note: the list of chief residents has been put in alphabetical order.
See also the Twyford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.