Norfolk: Voting Registers
Poll for Humbleyard Hundred 1768
A copy of the poll for the knights of the shire for the county of Norfolk, taken at Norwich, March 23, 1768 for Humbleyard Hundred. [Printed by J.Crouse]
This contains the following parishes where voters resided. The names in brackets "()" are alternative spellings as used in the original poll book.
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
|Residence.||Place of Freehold.||Occupiers|
|Berney John, Esq;||Bracon Ash||---|
|Greene Robert||Crownthorpe, Fore||--- Bardwell, &c.|
|Harvey Edmund||Lynn, Fr. L.||--- Bagge|
|Spurgeon John||Bracon Ash||Widow Spurgeon|
|Taylor Edward||Bressingham, Diss||--- Fuller|
|Thynne Charles||Bracon Ash||---|
|Carter William||Little Melton||John Farrow|
|Mayes John [James]||Little Melton||---|
|Teasdale James||Carleton (Rode), Dep.||Robert Edwards|
|Bates John, Esq;||Cringleford||---|
|Cannel Peter||East Carleton||John French|
|Colman John||Wymondham, Fore.||Stephen Cann|
|Sheen George||Saxlingham, Hens.||Joseph Elmer|
|Beevor Thomas, Esq;||Hethel||---|
|Sendall [Sandall] John||Shotesham, Hens.||Jonathan Maddis|
|Berney John, D.D.||Hethersett||Rectory|
|Claxton Francis||Little Melton||William Drake|
|Coggal Augustus||Framingham Pigot, Hens.||John Baker|
|Hipperson [Himperson] Thomas|
[*DR Carleton Rode]
|Buckenham, Shrop.||--- Turner|
|Hughes Daniel||Morley, St. Pet. Fore||John Perkins|
|Wissen [Wiffen] Robert||Wymondham, Fore.||--- Lingwood|
|Kemp John||Tasburgh, Dep.||Samuel Smith|
|Nethercoat Edward||Poringland, Hens.||Thomas Legget|
|Bale John||Wicklewood, Fore,||Widow Atmore|
|Melton Great & Little|
|Brooke James||Hardingham, Mitt.||George Culyer|
|Darby [Derby] John||Melton||---|
|Girling John, L.||Hethersett||John Ball|
|Lombe John, Esq;||Melton||Richard Wright|
|Moss [Morse] Thomas||Melton||---|
|Smith Edward, L.||Melton||---|
|Haseman [Hasement] Charles||Wymondham, Fore.||---|
|Scott Edmund||Newton Flotman||---|
|Mayes Edward||Swainsthorpe||Henry Gooch|
|Smith Sherwood||Newton Flotman||Charles Hart|
|Churchman Wm. Esq;||Illington, Shrop.||Thomas Foulger|
|Cobbe Thomas||Tibenham, Dep.||---|
|Dey [Dye] Robert||East Carleton||--- Horstead|
|Taylor Adam||Cantley, Blo.||John Harwood|
|Burton Edward||Moulton, Dep.||Edmund Skipper|
|Burton Henry [*DR]||Forncett St. Peter, Dep.||John Brewster|
Places with no voters
The following places :-
East Carleton, Florden, Intwood and Merkshall
had no one who lived there and voted because of a freehold in the same place. Note that voters may still have lived there and voted because of a freehold held elsewhere.
- 1. The list of the Hundred abbreviations is on the main 1768 Poll Book (Crouse) page.
- 2. W. Chase also published this list of voters. This has enabled a comparison between the two. The differences are as follows:-
- Many surnames were spelt as they sounded. Crouse seems to have added an "e" to the end of many names such as "Browne"/"Longe". For many both spellings have been included.
- Some entries have the Surnames and Christian names transposed.
- There are also both incorrect Christian names and surnames.
- Some people are in one book but not the other as indicated.
- The alternatives from Chase are enclosed in square brackets - "" as indicated below :-
- "[-]" means information differs from Chase.
- "[+]" means preceding information was not in Chase.
- "[DF="place"]" indicates a place of freehold in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[DR="place"]" indicates a place of residence in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[xyz]" eg. "[Cl.]" or "[Esq;]" indicates additional or different text in Chase.
- 1. In the transcription of the Poll Book the modern spelling of place names has been added in brackets "()" to many of the entries so that a search will find them.
Humbleyard Hundred is followed in the Poll book by Launditch Hundred.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.