Norfolk: Voting Registers
Poll for Taverham Hundred 1768
A copy of the poll for the knights of the shire for the county of Norfolk, taken at Norwich, March 23, 1768 for Taverham Hundred. [Printed by J.Crouse]
This contains the following parishes where voters resided. The names in brackets "()" are alternative spellings as used in the original poll book.
Beeston St. Andrew
Horsham, St. Faith
(see also Newton, St. Faith)
Horstead with Stanninghall
|Newton, St. Faith|
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
|Residence.||Place of Freehold.||Occupiers|
|Wright William||Wymondham, Fore.||John Wright|
|Micklethwayte J. Esq;||Hickling, Hap.||John Cubit|
|Brittan Henry||Marsham, S. Erp.||Roger Hammond|
|Burgess William||Chedgrave, Lod.||---|
|Cooper John||Cressingham, S. Gr.||Annuity|
|Manhood Abraham||Rockland, Hens.||Robert Thurston|
|Middleton John||Horsford||John Fox|
|Rogers Robert, Esq;||Little Dunham, Laun.||Robert Blyth|
|Rush William Barker, Cl.||Briston, Holt||John Shore|
|Utting Richard||Surlingham, Hens.||Joshua Holmes|
|Watts George||Ridlington, Tuns.||Thomas Corke|
|Coulson [Coulsey] John||Drayton||Widow Diver|
|Coulson [Coulsey] William||Drayton||---|
|Jackson William, Cl.||Drayton||Rectory|
|Layton Sheldrake, Esq;||Kirby (Bedon), Hens.||---|
|Nash Samuel||Drayton||Jacob Marsh|
|Pitcher John||Horsford||John Hall|
|Brumley [Bromley] William||Felthorpe||---|
|Farrow [Furrow] John||Felthorpe||---|
|Gibbs Edmund||Felthorpe||John Larwood|
|Pitcher Richard||Felthorpe||John Neave|
|Goward Richard||Brandon, Fore.||Henry Sowter|
|Garrod William, Cl.||Wood Bastwick, Wals.||John Caston|
|March Joseph||Easton, Fore.||Widow Back|
|Ames [Amis] Joseph||Bradfield||William Withers|
|Corman William Wath.|
[Coman William Watts]
|Legrys [Le_Grice] Robert, [Esq;], Cl. [DR=Norwich]||Morton, Eyns||Rectory|
|Horsham St. Faith's.|
|Bowles Richard||Horsham, St. Faith||---|
|Bunn John||Horsham, St. Faith||---|
|Tompson John||Horsham, St. Faith||---|
|Watts Peter||Horsham, St. Faith||---|
|Baret Peter, Esq;||Horstead||---|
|Batchelor T[homas] John, Esq;||Horstead||---|
|Broome George||Coltishall, S. Erp.||Jeremiah Nichols|
|Hanmer William, Cl.||Horstead||Rectory|
|Pike [Pyke] John||Horstead||---|
|Watts Henry Palmer, Esq;||Horstead||---|
|Newton, St. Faith's.|
|Chapman Robert||Newton, St. Faith||---|
|Cooper Thomas||Newton, St. Faith||---|
|Crotch John||Weston Longville, Eyns.||William Bidwell|
|Dunn John||Newton, St. Faith||Richard Bowes, &c.|
|Fickling William||Newton, St. Faith||---|
|Hardy John||Newton, St. Faith||---|
|Larner David||Newton, St. Faith||---|
|Adams John||Salhouse||John Piggin|
|Blyth William||Salhouse||William Pigge|
|Bubbin[s] Edward||Ranworth, Wals.||Arthur Scales|
|Piggin [Piggen] John||Salhouse||---|
|Ward Richard, Esq;||Salhouse||John Davey|
|Longe Francis, Esq;||Spixworth||Rectory|
|Longe John, Clerk||Spixworth||---|
|Roberts John||Frettenham||Samuel Barber|
|Redhead William||Thorpe, Blo.||---|
|Sotherton Thomas, Esq;||Taverham||---|
|Betts Thomas||Moulton, Dep.||Edward Betts|
|Greene John||Wroxham||Felix Fitt|
|Kettle Nicholas||Cantley, Blo.||Ann Kettle|
|Oliver John||Horsham St. Faith's||Sewell Webster|
|Riches John||South Walsham||John Smith|
|Smith Henry||Hoveton St. John||George Bley|
|Wace John, Esq;||Wroxham||John Greene|
|Youngs Robert||Coltishall, S. Erp.||Robert Seaman|
Places with no voters
The following place :-
had no one who lived there and voted because of a freehold in the same place. Note that voters may still have lived there and voted because of a freehold held elsewhere.
- 1. The list of the Hundred abbreviations is on the main 1768 Poll Book (Crouse) page.
- 2. W. Chase also published this list of voters. This has enabled a comparison between the two. The differences are as follows:-
- Many surnames were spelt as they sounded. Crouse seems to have added an "e" to the end of many names such as "Browne"/"Longe". For many both spellings have been included.
- Some entries have the Surnames and Christian names transposed.
- There are also both incorrect Christian names and surnames.
- Some people are in one book but not the other as indicated.
- The alternatives from Chase are enclosed in square brackets - "" as indicated below :-
- "[-]" means information differs from Chase.
- "[+]" means preceding information was not in Chase.
- "[DF="place"]" indicates a place of freehold in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[DR="place"]" indicates a place of residence in Chase which is different to that here.
- "[xyz]" eg. "[Cl.]" or "[Esq;]" indicates additional or different text in Chase.
- 1. In the transcription of the Poll Book the modern spelling of place names has been added in brackets "()" to many of the entries so that a search will find them.
Taverham Hundred is followed in the Poll book by Tunstead Hundred.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.